Hyundai OEM cabin filter failure - Wix replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late post... Pictures are from earlier this year (2-2016, 85K miles).

Last CAF change in the Elantra was back at roughly 60K miles and 3-years ago. CAF was in service for close to 30K miles.
I decided to change the filter back in February as the weather was warming up. Prior to changing, I noticed a lot more dust on the dash and vents when not using A/C in re-circulation mode.
By the looks of it, the filter was so clogged that it collapsed at the sides, allowing outside dust and pollen to pass into the cabin area.

Replacement was a Korean Wix filter that felt a lot sturdier than the Hyundai filter.
20160808_104936_zpsvat8zk59.jpg

20160808_105308_zpsiur99kga.jpg

BONUS:

Also replaced my Accent CAF with a Korean Purolator filter. Previous was a Chinese Luberfiner filter run for 25K miles.
20160823_115123_zpsxdvktlgw.jpg

20160823_115212_zpsd655c19m.jpg

Replace with washable palladium fine screening.

Cabin filter, BAhh!

What happens when you roll down the windows?

I need a mouse filter to keep mice out of HVAC and engine!

In my Genesis Coupe I had a terrible problem with mice and the cabin filter. Finally put a bar of Coast soap in the glove box. That stopped them.

Before doing that this filter was in the car over last summer.

FDr6yDW.jpg

Originally Posted By: bigjl
To be honest the damage to the old failure looks like incorrect fitment.

Did you fit it yourself?

It is the correct filter. The original design is flawed since there is no reinforcement along those sides. Wix filter fit perfectly.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
30k on a Cabin Filter? If I don't change mine once a year it looks gross.

I actually checked the CAF the previous year and it still looked great. One year (and a couple long road trips) later and it turned into this mess.

Don't think I've seen a CAF collapsed like that one, even in longer use. Clogged/loaded yes, collapsed no.

Usually ime the outside pleats fit over a ledge on the frame. Think this one has no frame, just CAF itself in this application?

Curious to see how the Wix holds up in similar use.

None of the AM cabin filters I've gotten have a frame for my two Hyundais. Just the material glued to the side.

I'll add that my experiences with CAF's using aforementioned frames/tray is with Honda and Nissan. That apparently would be similar to Hyundai Accent CAF shown above using trays/frames too.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Most manufacturers require replacement at 15K.

And they all say as needed because operating conditions are so variable.

Btw, Lexus say change at 30k, clean at 15k.

My 2010 Elantra takes 10 minutes to change the cabin filter.
I buy it at Rock Auto for $5.00 and change it out every June.
Same for the 2006 Sentra.

Here's the original from my Sonata:
filter_zpskkbdwlpn.jpg

The car sits outside a lot and I have an elm tree that's outstanding at generating those seed pods, plus the OEM cowl had long slots that let the pods work their way into the system for the filter to trap.

Since this embarrassment, I've remembered to change the filter every year. plus a hail-storm in 2014 damaged the cowl and the replacement has a series of small squares for intake rather than the long slots. The filters haven't looked as bad since.

How is 60k miles and 3 years on a cabin filter considered "failure".

I change mine once a year (~11K miles) and they look terrible.

I purchased several for the Santa Fe and Ram for $5 a piece on-line. Hers gets changed twice a year and mine once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back