New style of cheap cabin air filter

wwillson

Staff member
I was at my friend's shop today and again he showed me something that made me shake my head. A car came in for an oil change and routine maintenance. This car belongs to a new customer at the shop. The car has been serviced at another shop a few miles away.

This is the cabin air filter that was removed when the new filter went in.

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

Cabin air filters cost $7-15+ on Rockauto, sometimes less. My time spent cutting a furnace filter into sections wouldn't pan out, I'd rather put in an extra hour at work. If I was desperate and had much more time than money, it might get you by for awhile.

Cabin air filters are multiplying....

Mercedes GLC300 has two. One accessed via the engine bay compartment, and the second below the dash on the passenger side inside the vehicle. Will take a significant amount of time to replace, but no doubt will contribute to the service center's profits at the dealership.

Interestingly, they don't specify the frequency of changes in the recommended service interval schedule. However, examining the actions taken at the dealerships for a "Service B", this includes the cabin air filter change. Got to justify the $800+ fee. Another reason to DIY.

Back