Car Ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I read Amazon reviews last year and they had reviews with pictures of that happening on Amazon.

Rhino on Amazon

To be fair, there is a recent review of the Scepter ramps that says that one cracked the first time it was used...no photos, at least it said "cracked" instead of "collapsed". I wish they had taken some snaps or described the problem in more detail.
It does suck that they don't stack because they take up a lot of space, but the reason they don't stack is the solid way the are constructed. I feel safe with the Scepters, a buddy of mine uses Rhino and recommended them to me but I did not like their review history.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I also use Rhino Ramps, but I also put jack stands underneath just in case. You can never be too safe.

Smart move!

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Really can't go wrong with Rhino Ramps...

+1.

With the after market rims and upsized (from OEM) tires my Forester sits high enough that I can slide under for most stuff, but the Rhino's put it up comfortably more to give me better elbow room.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
www.ezcarlift.com
I've got one and I love it. Pricey, but if you mess with a lot of low slung cars, worth it.

I can get a two-post lift for that price up here... without half the body being inaccessible either...

I kind of want one. Does it work on gravel/dirt/broken concrete floors?

Personally all I use right now are rhino ramps, although not the sketchy "new and improved" ones...

Last edited:
I like Rhino ramps too, but I've read here before that folks lift the vehicle and place the ramps under the wheels like jack stands.

This I am not a fan of because the suspension would want to push the ramps apart thus (I'd think) strain the composite material. Not a safe idea at all.

If you want to do this, get steel.. or better yet use proper jack stands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I like Rhino ramps too, but I've read here before that folks lift the vehicle and place the ramps under the wheels like jack stands.

This I am not a fan of because the suspension would want to push the ramps apart thus (I'd think) strain the composite material. Not a safe idea at all.

If you want to do this, get steel.. or better yet use proper jack stands.

That's interesting. I've driven up the ramps then jacked up the rear and put the rear tires on another set of Rhino ramps and had no problem doing so, but now I won't be doing it again. With my Jeeps driving up either 2 or 4 ramps is quite easy in 4L. Driving a car or van up 4 ramps is more difficult, and why I used to jack the rear and place the ramps under it. I didn't think it would matter much with the 12K lb ramps.

Been using Camco brand RV "Trailer Aid" ramps and wheel chocks since 2002. These are heavy duty and rated for 15,000lbs EACH, as they are made for RV use.

These are yellow plastic and can be found at Amazon and Walmart, the only downside is they are individual priced ($20 per ramp and $4 per chock).

Here are the Camco ramps on Amazon: Camco Trailer Aid Ramps

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rylan
Been using Camco brand RV "Trailer Aid" ramps and wheel chocks since 2002. These are heavy duty and rated for 15,000lbs EACH, as they are made for RV use.

I really don't worry about ratings. A manufacturer can't take any chance of collapse. The safety factor will be at least 3:1.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
So are the Rhino ramps safer/better than the steel ones?

I can't begin to imagine them collapsing.

Originally Posted By: supton
I've heard of cutting holes into shrouds / belly pans / "skid plates" for oil filter access. I'm leery of it. If I were buying a new but "pristine" vehicle I'd look askew at that. On the well-used market it'd just be typical owner mod, but if I were buying "nearly new" I wouldn't care for it. Just my opinion. I'd do that for a long term owner, but otherwise no modify if I was going to flip in short order.

A hole cut for access should have minimal impact on airflow. It may allow water to splash up, and rot metal in our salty environment; but even that is reduced by having most of the bellypan present. So I wouldn't feel constrained to cover the hole back over.

certain Toyotas were designed with this in mind. where you cut along a particular seam on the tray and create a flap that actually has another seam. you can then access with only 1 or 2 screws . or you leave it all intact if you so choose, just like folks who don't put on a front license plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back