ford 500 2007, oil ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ford 500 with 50000 miles on it, the display is showing 5% oil and has 4000 miles on that oil , can I do 5000 miles with that car ? the engine is a 3.0 L Duratec 30 V6 , and recommends 5/20W .

What is the recommendation for this engine ?

I change it now at 5% and depending on your driving habits, try a synthetic for longer OCI's. As mentioned the blend Motorcraft 5w20 is an excellent choice otherwise.

I had a 2007 Fusion with the same engine. I would switch in between synthetic blends & full synthetic & always ran conventional oil for the first 80K miles or so.

I changed Valvoline or Pennzoil conventional every 5K miles. I changed synthetic blends every 5K-6K & I did a run of M1 & PP, ran both for 7K-8K each. These engines aren't hard on oil.

I'd suggest you use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend or Pennzoil Platinum in 5W-20 or 5W-30 & change every 5K for severe service, 7.5K normal. You could maybe stretch the Pennzoil out to 10K if you do majority easy highway driving.

FWIU, the Ford OLM counts calendar time as well as actual use and conditions of use.
If this is the case, how long did it take you to accumulate this 4K?
Ford recommends an annual change as does GM without regard to miles driven being very low. This is probably intended to ensure that low use garage queens get at least some maintenance and aren't totally ignored.
That said, we've seen plenty of multi-year UOAs that showed no degradation of the oil over time. Moisture content is more a matter of local humidity and ambient temperatures as well as how long an engine is run on the average start.
Anyway, I'd say you'd be fine running 5K drains with this engine and probably longer than that.
I wouldn't sweat 5K at all regardless of what the OLM has to say about it.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
FWIU, the Ford OLM counts calendar time as well as actual use and conditions of use.
If this is the case, how long did it take you to accumulate this 4K?
Ford recommends an annual change as does GM without regard to miles driven being very low. This is probably intended to ensure that low use garage queens get at least some maintenance and aren't totally ignored.
That said, we've seen plenty of multi-year UOAs that showed no degradation of the oil over time. Moisture content is more a matter of local humidity and ambient temperatures as well as how long an engine is run on the average start.
Anyway, I'd say you'd be fine running 5K drains with this engine and probably longer than that.
I wouldn't sweat 5K at all regardless of what the OLM has to say about it.

The oil life monitor in Fords that old only count mileage. The intelligent oil life monitor didn't come out until the 2010-2011 model years depending on the vehicle.

Time to change
smile.gif

Then why would the thing be calling for a change after only 4K?
I'm thinking that calendar time must enter into the calculation, since a 4K drain otherwise makes no sense that I can see.

For what it's worth, I used to own an 2003 Mercury Sable with the same 3.0 liter Duratec V6 engine.. The engine, when it was first released, specced 5w30 oil, and was later back-specced to 5w20 for CAFE requirements. I used to regularly run anything from 5w20 to 5w30 to a blend that even included a little 10w40 mixed with 5w30.. and the engine never really seemed to care that much.

... I also ran numerous OCIs out to at least 7,500 miles.. and again, no obvious problems, so in my humble opinion, you could run a wide range of oils in yours.

However, the current Ford spec for that engine is Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w20.. but I got my Sable's 3.0 Duratec out to 189,000 miles before I sold it, running all sorts of different oils.. so draw your own conclusions.

FYI - my driving was about 80-90% highway driving @ 70MPH+ so a longer OCI was easy.

... as to your current situation - If the oil has been in there a long time (6 months+), or if you do a lot of stop-and-start driving, etc.. then I would consider changing it out very soon. Otherwise, if the 4000 miles has been long-trip driving, then I personally would say you could stretch it out to 5000 before your change. What oil is in there right now?

I have a Ford Sedan GL with the 3.0 OHV engine and I agree with others get the oil changed now. I still use 5W-30 and have used 10W-30 during the summer months. One Brand you might want to consider is Pennzoil Gold which is a synthetic blend but I think it is a true 50/50 blend from what others have mentioned on this board and I do 5,000 OCI. With 50K on your car it is also time to change the transmission fluid, flush the power steering fluid, and do a coolant flush.

Keep in mind, mctmatt, that your OHV 3.0 is a very different beast from the 3.0 Duratec, which is a DOHC engine.. and thus places different demands on the oil than the Duratec would.

Also, it is possible that the 2007 Ford 500 in the OP's post MIGHT have the CVT tranny, which may change the trans fluid drain/fill interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back