What with what mixes etcc

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly are the ins and outs of what can be mixed with what and what can't. I've got to admit, this seems to me like one more thing to worry about. Maybe put it in a sticky?

I can mix gin with pretty much anything. If you ask me it mixes better than vodka. You can make two identical drinks, one with gin one with vodka. The vodka drink will always have an edge to it. Mixed with gin and it just flows right into its place.

Sure hope someone makes this a sticky.

It is a bad idea to mix ethylene glycol based coolant with propylene glycol based coolant. The two together form an acid and it makes a sticky black-brown gooy mess. In fact it is tricky to convert an ethylene based coolant ( most coolants are ethylene glycol coolants) to use a propylene glycol based coolant like Amsoil or Sierra because it is darn difficult to get all the ethylene coolant out the system. No problem if you are building a new hot rod from scratch. In the good old days we used to run a garden hose into the radiator while running the car to get 100% fresh water in the system before doing the conversion. Imagine doing that in Newport Beach these days. $5000 dollar fine and a new set of finger prints to go with your mugshot.

Originally Posted By: carock
It is a bad idea to mix ethylene glycol based coolant with propylene glycol based coolant. The two together form an acid and it makes a sticky black-brown gooy mess. In fact it is tricky to convert an ethylene based coolant ( most coolants are ethylene glycol coolants) to use a propylene glycol based coolant like Amsoil or Sierra because it is darn difficult to get all the ethylene coolant out the system. No problem if you are building a new hot rod from scratch. In the good old days we used to run a garden hose into the radiator while running the car to get 100% fresh water in the system before doing the conversion. Imagine doing that in Newport Beach these days. $5000 dollar fine and a new set of finger prints to go with your mugshot.

Please provide a reference to that problem. I'd like to read it.

The consequances of mixing propylene glycol and ethylene glycol were laid out in a book about automotive cooling systems I tossed years ago. If you want modern references you can google it and get satisfactory results. I also have practical experience with mixing the two having seen the results of what happened when Sierra coolant was popular in the San Francisco Bay Area. We learned our lesson there.

Originally Posted By: carock
The consequences of mixing propylene glycol and ethylene glycol were laid out in a book about automotive cooling systems I tossed years ago. If you want modern references you can google it and get satisfactory results. I also have practical experience with mixing the two having seen the results of what happened when Sierra coolant was popular in the San Francisco Bay Area. We learned our lesson there.

Mixing propylene glycol and ethylene glycol together does not result in an acid. There may be additive clash with different types of prepared antifreeze but that would depend on the particular formulation and is irrespective of the base.

So, does yellow mix with green mix with orange?
In other words does Autozone mix with advanced mix with Walmart mix with???, so long as it's not some way over priced stuff?

Any EG coolant can be mixed... but I would only in a pinch or if service was coming up due. FYI, colors don't mean anything...

My first Q would be: why do you need to add any coolant? Second, if it only a little, safe bet is straight distilled water. Third, if service is coming up and then just dump it and remember what type of coolant you used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back