Bicycle pump maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
Does anyone maintain their bicycle pumps to make them last? Should I be adding a drop of oil to the shiny shaft once in a while to keep it from wearing out? Are there wear items inside the pump that would benefit from some attention?

bit of Syl-Glide on the pump seal inside (frequently leather), and a dab on that shaft as well. If you use oil, go easy on it so it doesn't end up pumped into the bike tube.

What pump? On my blackburn floor pump the seal is just an o-ring on the plunger. It received fresh sil-glyde when I replaced the o-ring last...about 8 years ago!

My other pumps get similar treatment. Of course, if you have a leather washer style it will likely benefit from a more frequent application. Though replacements or rebuild kits are readily available for most pumps.

Never thought of it. And will start doing that. Bought a standing bike pump "Action Jaxon" 10-14 years ago that I use every 2 weeks or so. Still going strong with zero maintenance. Never had much luck with the cheap hand held ones, especially those that fit on the bike.

I use left over ATF, MTF and gear oil to lubricate any moving part on the garage door front door, patio door, car's doors, hood, bicycle pump ...

If they have leather cups like the old Coleman stove pumps then a couple drops of oil would help.
I put the odd drop of oil on the pump shaft to stop rust.

I just put a small amount of tune-up grease (clear silicone) on the shaft .

Keep it clean and maybe a stream of spray wax now and then. Mine in a turbo or supercharger Ontrager for about $50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back