Marlin Model 60 Rifling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
True, it should have never left the factory if the muzzle was in that condition at the factory.

Some other situations may apply as well:

Shipping or mishandling, or someone poking a tool or other hard object into the muzzle just below the crown.

I know where these barrels are made (my parents hometown) and I can tell you the personnel down there consist of people who care about craftsmanship and accuracy.

So I say the damage done to the rifling was "after-the-fact."

The gun was special ordered, so it was never on a store shelf. It was shipped from the distributor to the store I bought it from. So if it was intentionally molested somehow, it was maybe done by a disgruntled employee at the factory is my only thought.

The guy I talked to at Marlin didn't hesitate to say it sounds like a bad rifling job, so I'm thinking they've seen something like this before. I offered to email him the photos I posted here, but he said he didn't need them.

IMO, it was probably a machining problem that occurred during the rifling process. I doubt every barrel is visually inspected for the quality of rifling on a gun this inexpensive. They are slammed together and if it fires and hits paper 25 ft away they probably say 'AOK' and put it in a box for shipment out of the factory.

It's a man running a machine, of course a mistake is possible and it doesn't have to be intentional or malicious.

Interesting to see the words Hi Point and accurate in the same sentence. Can you put some meaningful numbers to your definition of accurate? I owned a 9mm for a short time and there was nothing about it I liked other than the fact it shot bullets. Ick.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
It's a man running a machine, of course a mistake is possible and it doesn't have to be intentional or malicious.

Interesting to see the words Hi Point and accurate in the same sentence. Can you put some meaningful numbers to your definition of accurate? I owned a 9mm for a short time and there was nothing about it I liked other than the fact it shot bullets. Ick.

That was my experience with Hi Point also. When shooting to qualify for the CCW in Iowa back in 2011 there was an older gent trying to do with with a Hi Point 9mm. At the 5 and 10 yard marks he could keep it on the torso target, although it was all over. At 25 yards, he could have thrown it more accurately than he shot it. He failed to get the 70% hit rate needed twice with that gun. I loaned him my Taurus PT92AF and he wound up in the 80's the first try with a strange new gun.

Hi Points are crudely constructed pot metal lead hoses. If your mags are okay (some seem to warp the feed lips), they do go bang pretty reliably. But I sure would not want to bet my life on one.

If you're looking for a good pistol caliber carbine, Rock River Arms makes the LAR-9. I picked one up a few years ago, and it's a really nice AR carbine. The lower is machined to be dedicated to 9 MM. Not using a pressed in block like the Colt's do. The magazines fit really well, with zero wobble. This thing has never had a hiccup in thousands of rounds of all types of bullet weights and shapes. Even the open nose hollow points. It takes any of the 9 MM AR magazines. C-Products make them in 15, 20, 25, and 32 round capacities.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Sure. FWIW, I own the Hi-Point Model 4095 semi-auto carbine in 0.40 S&W. It came with one 8-shot and two 10 shot magazines. Barrel length from Chamber to Muzzle is ~ 17.5."

Out of the box it shot 1.25" groups at 25 yards and less than 3" groups at 100 yards. For a 0.40 S&W load, I call that relatively accurate.

I shot various ammo brands and the Winchester 165 grain FMJ, CapArms TargetMatch 180 grain TNFP, and the Federal 180 grain FMJ FN had the best accuracy.

So make fun of the Hi-Point is you will, but it works for me.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Sure. FWIW, I own the Hi-Point Model 4095 semi-auto carbine in 0.40 S&W. It came with one 8-shot and two 10 shot magazines. Barrel length from Chamber to Muzzle is ~ 17.5."

Forgot to mention, this shooting was done with the factory sights that come with the 4095.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back