2AZ-FE Coolant pipe/nipple removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I need help on how to remove the coolant pipe from the cylinder head. Below is a pic of said pipe. The remanufactured engine that was purchased does not have it. I tried searching if I can purchase one but came up empty.

fjj3go.jpg

Just read the mechanical and cooling sections of the repair manual. The cylinder head pipe was not mentioned.

bblackmon19,

I thought of doing that but decided to ask first and see what others would have to suggest.

I will try that as my last resort. Thank you.

you might be better off buying the coolant pipe versus separating the old one.

cptbarkey,

I am currently looking for one. That is what I really want to avoid damage to a part that seems hard to find. I will also contact the seller and hopefully they can provide the pipe.

Is there any sign of a set screw underneath it? I am not familiar with this engine but the old Porsche water boxer engines used a bonded in pipe similar to this, they had to be heated to remove them.
They were prone to leaking, a different bonding agent and the addition of a set screw was the permanent fix.

Originally Posted By: bblackmon19
Get the pipe nice and hot then let it fully cool/shrink and it should come out.

Why not heat the aluminum around it?

Trav,

There is no screw underneath it. If I end up having to remove the pipe, do you know where I can purchase the bonding agent? I am guessing once I remove and reinstall it, it most probably will leak. Thanks!

Merkava_4,

Thank you. That looks like it will greatly reduce the chances of damaging the pipe when I try to remove it. I was thinking of using my hands while wearing thick work gloves. That idea was axed out completely as I will be putting a decent amount of heat to it. Hehe.

MarkM66,

I know your post was towards bblackmon19, but I just want to include in here that that is what I plan on doing.

This is what I was thinking. How much could it be vs what is your time worth?

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
you might be better off buying the coolant pipe versus separating the old one.

Check with Toyota parts dept at a dealer, if they look at you like you have 2 heads use Loctite 638, it works well for this sort of fitting.
Any word from the rebuilder? Did you find a new part?

I'm just a backyard mechanic, but I guess that if I tried to remove something like that, here's what I'd try.

1. Find some kind of wood dowel or similar (maybe long socket if you're lucky) that fits snugly inside the pipe to give it some internal support.
2. Run a vice grip on the outside and try to twist it to break it free.
3. While twisting, pull at the same time to inch it out.

Heat may be necessary (the hole in aluminum will increase in size more than the steel pipe will expand due to the difference in expansion rates). If you're throwing the old head away, then torch...

Good luck.

Trav,

I emailed the rebuilder ealier this morning but they haven't replied yet. Will call them tomorrow. I'd rather order the Loctite 638 than go to the dealer and explain. My search for the part is still ongoing.

Skid,

Thanks!!!

Skid,

Decided to have my nightly garage session and mess around a bit. Hot da*mn!!! Heated the aluminum section with my propane torch for about a minute on low and it came out without much effort. It was earily easy. Thank you!!

I used a Craftsman 3/8" drive 10 mm deep socket. The hex end of the socket had an outside diameter slightly larger than the internal diameter of the pipe. I decided to tap it in with a dead blow hammer.

Thank you very much to everyone for their suggestions!

1g3xmx.jpg

2r6kwtu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back