MC FL-400S, Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had to pry the two baseplate layers apart due to lousy cutting of the can, and I found adhesive/sealant between the metal layers. I assume this is about the Purolator type baseplate with a thin silvery plate over the thick tapping plate. I found this old picture.
DSCN1027_zpscmvxccv1.jpg

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
WO, I see what you're talking about. And, in theory, I CAN see this happening.

If you still have that MC filter, you should take a look at the base plate and see if you can spot anything wrong that would allow it to leak past the ADBV.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If you still have that MC filter, you should take a look at the base plate and see if you can spot anything wrong that would allow it to leak past the ADBV.

ZeeOSix - goodtimes is spot on. I just separated the gasket plate from the tapping plate from a Motorcraft FL820S in 2-3 minutes. There is a glue/epoxy/sealant holding these two pieces together. I can see with the naked eye the sealant is not even. This would make filter install tightness more critical. I can post the photos tomorrow. I speculate the FL400S is the same/similar construction.
grin2.gif

I have a baseplate from an FL-400s that was leaking down sitting around. Let me know how you separated yours and I'll do the same and post pictures.

It is from this filter/thread. I had one leaking down over time and pulled it this weekend:

FL-400s leaking thread

I could find nothing wrong inside and thought it might be flimsy ADBV. But perhaps not.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Z06, I still have the filter. For some reason I had a feeling that I should keep it.

It was discussed before, probably many times, but when a filter is prefilled, oil goes through the media. I just prefilled one so I know this is true. So the reverse has to be true, oil will also flow through the media into the center tube and out. But filters are seen to hold oil when they are turned upside down. The center tube drains but the part behind the media doesn't sometimes. The difference is when prefilling there is air pressure above the oil going in. If the bypass valve is leaky it can cause draining of the oil, it isn't just the adbv only to blame. The oil will drain out if air is above the oil, just like when prefilling it goes in, even with the world's most perfect adbv.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The oil will drain out if air is above the oil, just like when prefilling it goes in, even with the world's most perfect adbv.

Yep, a hole punched in the dome end on a vertical, base down mounted filter will drain the entire filter. But without the vent hole, it will hold oil between the can and center tube forever if the ADBV is 100% sealing. Seen this many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back