Oil filter has the highest Absolute rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this has been covered before, I don't get on the forum often. I am trying to find an oil filter with the highest Absolute filtration ie: the filter which will pull out the smallest particles.

Please guys, I don't want a long discussion about why I wouldn't want to use this filter or that, I'm just looking for leads on a manufacturer of an oil filter that will take out even 10 micron particles with a high efficiency. No guessing please, no rants about why I should or shouldn't, blah, blah, blah. I'm just looking for names of any ultra fine filters that others have found or used. For example, an oil filter with finer filtration than a Mobil 1, Purolator Pure One (or the newest Purolator "One"), or an Amsoil Filter.

Thanks in advance.

The Trasko sounds like one of the finest filtering, maybe the finest in the consumer level. It appears like quite a bit of machined aluminum for the money as far as the filter case goes, the elements are $10 plus shipping. Seems to have interesting points, a track record, and easier to install than a Frantz or other bypass. They are wrong about other full flows only getting down to 20 microns though. They claim 1/10 micron, how's that?

http://trasko-usa.com/about/about.htm

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
How about just adding a bypass filter?

+1 no issues with flow and even finer particle filtering.
Waiting for Fram Ultra fan boy club.
lol.gif

I've read about the Trasko, just have no experience with them, would like to find someone who has actually used any of these ultra filtration filters.

Likely the odds are in the favor of microgreen. Their dual filtering system is nice .but i wouldnt use it for 10000 mile .10000 km max

I tried four micro green filters on my hyundai sonata se 2.0 turbo and it helped the black oil about half way through the oil change but I change every 4000 miles anyway and trasko would cost me 120 dollars for three filter changes and I would just rather change the oil 4 * anyway for the same money and get the oil for free. I use whatever syn on sale and top tier filter that goes with it.

The best filter is a broad brush. Best at what? Best cold flow w/o going into by-pass... Best hot flow with smallest particle capture? Longest life media with additives? Most durable can to resist swelling under high pressure.

All around I bet it will be WIX or Baldwin in an oversized configuration for reduced cold flow rsistance... But that's just guessing.

+1 on the by-pass filter to aid your standard canister filter. Frantz, Lubrifiner, etc. They all do an excellent job in secondary filtering with no real hit on the main oil supply.

There are some centrifugal filters out there that spin the particles out of the oil, but I don't think you want to run one
smile.gif

Not looking for the "best" filter, asked for information from anyone who knows of a filter that could filter out the smallest particles, ie: the lowest micron Absolute rating. Not asking for guesses (read original post), asking for those who actually have used one of these filters.

Thank you

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
How about just adding a bypass filter?

+1 no issues with flow and even finer particle filtering.
Waiting for Fram Ultra fan boy club.
lol.gif

When I first read this I thought it was a setup by the Fram marketing team too.

Well I don't think your looking for a bypass system? Are you?
Assuming not I think a microgreen might be right for you. But really you need to be specific about exactly what you want to use it on. Wix makes a 5 micron filter speced for harley Davidson that can cross over to some other applications but who knows what your needing to put a filter on.

goodtimes; I'll check out the frantz; do you have any specs for that filter?

Frantz came out with a new version. As for specs, it is a TP bypass filter. It filters to sub microns and takes out water. I don't use these any more, nowhere to put one on the car. There may be a place somewhere on the chassis but I am not going to get into that. I gave up pretty much on all that stuff, use regular name brand filters now. I am going to put a Toyota on this weekend, which some call a rock catcher. They seem to work very well as far as meeting the specs Toyota requires. There are some old threads about the Trasko, not a lot of recent users.

http://www.frantzoil.com/home.html

Most manufacturers of auto oil filters don't publish data at small Micron filtering. Usually you only get a number at say 20 micron and that's it.

Originally Posted By: Bob69
Automotive as stated above, not motorcycle.

Holy [censored] dude. Which 100 million possible automotive application are you looking to get a filter for? I mean do you have a specific automobile that you want a filter for or are you just wasting everyones time?
Also the motorcycle filter i mentioned can cross over to autmotive applications. There are many filters actually that are used on both motor cycles and cars.

Fram Ultra is 99.9% @20 microns and 80% @5 microns if you ask them by email. Other microglass filters should be close like the royal purple or Amsoil EA, but unfortunately they don't give us enough data to make apples to apples comparison.

Amsoil EA is posted as 98.7% @20 microns so I'm guessing the 5 micron number is lower but probably still pretty good.

The Ultra gets the better rating because it uses two layers of media instead of 1 thicker layer like the Amsoil and royal purple does. They also seal it very well with deep end caps with lots of adhesive and even use an extra seal on the bypass valve, sometimes leakage in these areas effect the ISO 4548-12 ratings.

Donaldson makes some very high efficiency synthetic filters too if you can cross them to certain larger automotive filters. Let us know what models your looking at?

Air filtration is king, oil filtration isn't as important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back