Single cylinder versus twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I am wondering why a 500cc H-D only has two holes and a proper V-twin has the engine, primary, and transmission.

Ever look at a Sportster? Only two holes there for primary/trans and engine. Also, who says you need to have three holes and non unit construction to be a "proper" V twin? Harley did not invent the V twin.

Yes, there are several single hole V-Twins on the market too.
I re-read this several times to make sure there were no grammar errors. I think I'm OK?
smile.gif

Indeed, many manufacturers of V twins just have one common sump to fill, even Harley does with the V-Rod engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
The HD 500 is a V twin, where does the single cylinder come from?

Unless he is talking about a Buell Blast.

Interestingly, singles can effectively use a reed valve on the crankcase vent. This reduces crankcase pressure and increases HP. It also helps prevent leaks.

Husqvana used reed valves as an oil pump in 4 stroke singles too. Saved a complete oil pump and associated system.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Because they combined the primary inside the transmission case. I always assumed it was to minimize size and weight.

Did I misunderstand this question?

Educate yourself about grammar, and you will use fewer instead of less in your tag line.

Wow, the relevance of this post is just......oh wait, it's pointless.

That may just be the most anal grammar Nazi post I've ever seen, and I've seen some doozies.

I honest to God didn't see anything wrong with your post. Maybe I should take a remedial English class LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back