Purolator PSL20195 cut open @ 10k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
This filter was run for 10,103 miles on a Saturn 1.9 DOHC. Oil used was G-Oil and a bottle of STP High Mileage. Top off during the OCI was 6.5 quarts of G-Oil. I had the filter over a jar for a few days, not much came out. When I cut the filter I drained it into a 16 ounce salsa jar and here it is.
2dt39yr.jpg

The only issue of mention was the ADBV which had a tear but did not seem to be a problem with the function.
2ememfm.jpg

I used a bunch of paper towels to wick out the oil. The media looks very nice. No issues at all.
2isty4y.jpg

141r8y.jpg

2im0x2.jpg

29q193n.jpg

Any time I can find this for ~$4 it's going in my cart.

Production date:
6fnpn7.jpg

FL-400S along with M1 High Mileage, STP High Mileage & a full can of LM2009

Also, too late to edit. In addition to the G-Oil and STP High Mileage I added half a can of LM2009.

The Purolator Synthetics are nice filters no doubt but a little too pricey.

I'd also use the FL-400S. Good call.

Tearolator strikes in a different manner. If the media don't tear then the ADBV will.
15.gif

Originally Posted By: Run
Tearolator strikes in a different manner. If the media don't tear then the ADBV will.
15.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Serious fail.

Where it teared is *NOT* the sealing surface.

Last edited:
It made it 10k with a torn ADBV and held the oil, so doesn't seem too bad.

Never seen these for sale in my area or I would have used one by now. Not worth ordering online because I like to pick my filters off the shelf.

The ADBV tear seems a little concerning, but then again, based on other filters cut open on here, it doesn't seem to be a common issue. And from what's described in the original post, it sounds like the ADBV was still doing its job. This looks pretty solid to me and confirms my thought that I should pick up a few of these before the puro boss replaces them, as they seem to do the job well enough and they're grippy.

Wow they figured out a way to get a filter to tear everywhere.. Ok people lets all be nice to our engines and our wallets and use a quality filter that does not tear.. LOL

Measured the total drained out after cutting, ~5 ounces hanging out between the media and the can.
hv2cye.jpg

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: Run
15.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Serious fail.

Where it teared is *NOT* the sealing surface.

Very true, but we don't know whether or not the tear would grow.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back