1989 Chevy Camaro RS 305 TBI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

So, a little background first: My parents bought the Camaro off the showroom floor new back in 89. Mom used to use it as a daily [city] driver; until I was born in 94 and they needed a more family oriented vehicle. Of course, we kept the Camaro as a "show car." We drive it to car shows and cruise ins in the summers, but other than that it sits in the garage in the winter.

Now, here's my question:

I'm not as familiar with the 305 TBI as I'd like to be. I don't know much about it. Is there engine design components that would possibly benefit from using a different oil than our modern GF-5 ILSAC API SN oils?

The car spec's 5w-30, of course, as typical for GM small blocks.

But I guess what I am trying to ask is:

Would it be worth looking into oils with different additive packs that are more formulated towards the specific engine?

I feel guilty using conventional 5w-30 API SN oils in it because I just feel like they may lack certain additives and such for the older engine design?

Any suggestions?

~ Triton

If it has the original engine, it has roller lifters and a proper camshaft designed for such lifters. Some easier 305's had roller lifters with a cam meant for flat tappets. You really don't need a higher zinc content oil. My dad bought a new 1990 Iroc-Z with a tuned-port injection 305. Had it 2 years before he totaled it driving in the snow with the summer only Goodyear Eagle tires.

I would use a good synthetic here just because of how many hot spots exist within that engine.

I have owned plenty of TBI SBCs, and they all were prone to cooking oil up in the cylinder heads.

No fancy add packs are needed. Just a good oil that can take the heat.

1) I'd drive that car more often. Seriously, letting it sit isn't increasing its value. Drive it!

2) I'd be running Valvoline MaxLife 5w30

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
1) I'd drive that car more often. Seriously, letting it sit isn't increasing its value. Drive it!

Oh, I drive it alright
wink.gif

Not the fastest thing around, but, it is just the 305 TBI, so.

~ Triton

Any decent 5w-30 like M1 5w-30 or PP 5w-30. That engine makes less than 200HP, it is far from a high stress application.

"I feel guilty using conventional 5w-30 API SN oils in it because I just feel like they may lack certain additives and such for the older engine design"

API SN is far superior to the 5w-30 SG or SH used originally in the motor. Since it's a warm weather only car, 10w-30 would be fine too.

Due to age and seals and gaskets getting older, they are slowly getting stiff (loss of plasticizers) so I'd also suggest Maxlife 5W-30 or so... Good Semi-Syn blend with seal conditioners
smile.gif

You don't have anything to feel guilty about. Supertech would be far superior than anything available in '89.

Nick, in much of the USA you just don't drive a nice older car from November to early May. SALT.

Triton, no drips?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Nick, in much of the USA you just don't drive a nice older car from November to early May. SALT.

Triton, no drips?
Yes I know that. I'm talking about during the driving season. Once the snow melts to once it falls, it's sad that some people out there will only put 500 miles a year on their car, especially a nice one like this.

Some of my earliest childhood car memories are in a new Polo green 92 RS/25th. Any good 5w30 is fine. You've got a low revving small block with a low lift cam. It won't be hard on oil.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Any decent 5w-30 like M1 5w-30 or PP 5w-30. That engine makes less than 200HP, it is far from a high stress application.

Agreed, as far as power the TBI is similar to a carb... The TPI units use a tuned intake and longer runners to improve torque due to a ram air effect... That is why the 5.0 Stangs ran so good as beginning 1986 all used a long runner, port injection intake...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Agreed, as far as power the TBI is similar to a carb... The TPI units use a tuned intake and longer runners to improve torque due to a ram air effect... That is why the 5.0 Stangs ran so good as beginning 1986 all used a long runner, port injection intake...

It wasn't just the injection. Even the '85 GT with a carb on it made 15-20 more HP (210) than this 305. 1986 was the first year of injection on the mustang and it was actually down 10HP (200) with the SEFI setup on it.

1987 saw the E7TE heads, which brought the power back up (225HP).

The 305 has smaller bores which limit its power potential (valve shrouding) over the 302 Ford and the 350 SBC.

I had a '91 RS with the 305/5 speed manual years ago. Fun car.

I ended up installing headers, catback exhaust, under drive pulleys, lower temp thermostat, edelbrock intake and a chip (I think it was a chip and not a programmer in those days). Woke it up for sure, but still not a powerhouse.

I'd wait for a special on Mobil 1 and get a 5 quart jug of 5w30. But the reality is any name brand or house brand should be enough protection for your application and then some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back