welding the top part of exhaust pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the compentent ones doing it?

I'm replacing a flexpipe in my project saturn; got a universal one that's just the flex part and not the whole downpipe/ cat/ whatever. Sawzalled the old out, slipped the new in. So far so good.

There's floor pan about 1.5 inches above the top of the junction, so I can't get it from above pointing down. I "zipped" up the side on both sides and just kinda shot sparks across the top which "bounced" as much as if not more than they penetrated. Well, I have a pinhole leak up there.

I have the HF flux wire 110 volt welder, but don't know if they make right angle tips that fit it, or if those are even "a thing".

I have a Lincoln 220V stick welder, and could bend sticks, I guess, so I'd have a 3/4" "fingernail" I can point down. Bending sticks flakes off the flux, so I only get one good shot.

I can get one of those 2" wide stainless clamps for exhaust butt connections, but it would look inelegant and bug me.

I don't want to unhang the exhaust; the manifold has a cat in it and the manifold fasteners rust like crazy from the heat.

I can stuff muffler putty up top where noone can see it anyway. I should have pre-stuffed the putty before assembly, in hindsight.

If all else fails you could make an access hole thru the bottom and weld the top portion of pipe from the inside.

They are a pain to weld in place like that. I removed that section in a 98 Sienna and welded it off the van. Maybe a shop would weld the top section for $20-30.

If its tight like that i usually gas weld it (not brazing), quick and easy job. If you find a pro welder he probably has a TIG micro torch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
How about advancing 2-3" of wire before striking the weld?

It jumps around more and when the side of the wire brushes the pipe it knocks itself off there and I have these rusty cat's whiskers stuck to the pipe too.
smile.gif

I think the bent rod is my next step.

if all else fails you can weld 1/2 to 3/4 of the way around and then buy a band clamp and put it around the pipe/weld to make a good seal

edit i see in the original post you've already thought of that I had an issue with a pipe that the clamp style clamp didn't hold the pipe well enough and it eventually slide out of the pipe, i was able to get back in but not enough to clamp it again so i welded it half way around and used a band clamp like i said above and it's held up just fine. being that its under the vehicle and you can't see it, it never really bothered me i guess.

Last edited:
Yeah I need to get it state inspected and if there's hokey looking stuff under there (like band clamps) they might get pickier about completely unrelated things.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Muffler shops here use gas and oxyacetelyne and a bent welding rod

They braz stainless alloy?
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
I got it, thanks all.

Wound up chopping a 10" rod into 4x 2.5" pieces that fit my clamp at a 90 degree angle. At least welding up top the puddle sticks around and doesn't drip away before it cools.

I first tried using a brake tubing bender to put a gentle bend in a rod, but all the flux flaked off and it was useless. I see why they use gas.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Pics of the weld please. I am not convinced that the cheap 120V HF welder is an appropriate tool for exhaust welding.

I think he used the lincoln with cut rods.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Pics of the weld please. I am not convinced that the cheap 120V HF welder is an appropriate tool for exhaust welding.

I was thinking that they used the HF welder for most of it, and the Lincoln for the top part.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I was thinking that they used the HF welder for most of it, and the Lincoln for the top part.

Oh i see what you mean.

I know nothing of the harbor freight welder. I do have a lincoln 3200HD that runs on 110 and will easily weld exhaust.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Yup I started with the HF and touched up with the stick.

That explains why the weld was ugly. I don't know if I could use my HF welder to do that (I think I have the same cheap wire feed welder). Perhaps if I ever try to I should heat the area first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back