2005 Tahoe Fluid recommendations needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally have time to swap fluids from front to rear. I already did a complete Trans fluid change with Amsoil. I misplaced my owners manual and I was windering what type of fluids will work best. Any help is appreciated

Power steering fluid - I was looking at Maxlife PSF

Gear Oil - Since I have the Eatin TruTrac, I was reading that it was best to non synthetic non FM oil. What options would I have? I was looking at Supertech 75w90 or 80w90 or Lucas HD 80w90

Brake fluid - I'm sure any DOT3 off the counter of my local parts store will suffice?

Any help and recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1_high_bald_guy
I finally have time to swap fluids from front to rear. I already did a complete Trans fluid change with Amsoil. I misplaced my owners manual and I was windering what type of fluids will work best. Any help is appreciated

Gear Oil - Since I have the Eatin TruTrac, I was reading that it was best to non synthetic non FM oil. What options would I have? I was looking at Supertech 75w90 or 80w90 or Lucas HD 80w90

Brake fluid - I'm sure any DOT3 off the counter of my local parts store will suffice?

As far as power steering fluid it looks like that year Tahoe GM recommends regular power steering fluid. I know some Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban say Dex III is OK.

Apparently the makers of TruTrac recommend GL5 gear oils with as little friction modifiers as possible.

Walmart sells Valvoline synthetic DOT3/4 brake fluid for $7 a quart.

MaxLife PSF replaced their SynPower product, which was specifically recommended by GM for these trucks; it'd be my choice

Since I have the Eatin TruTrac

Did you have this installed, or confusing it for the factory G80?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
MaxLife PSF replaced their SynPower product, which was specifically recommended by GM for these trucks; it'd be my choice

I had it installed along with 4.10 gears

I had it installed along with 4.10 gears

Ok, just wanted to make sure.

Synthetic is fine, but you need to make absolutely sure that it's not friction modified (most products you see on the shelf are).

Originally Posted By: stchman

As far as power steering fluid it looks like that year Tahoe GM recommends regular power steering fluid. I know some Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban say Dex III is OK.

Apparently the makers of TruTrac recommend GL5 gear oils with as little friction modifiers as possible.

Walmart sells Valvoline synthetic DOT3/4 brake fluid for $7 a quart.

Thanks I'll check Walmart for Valvoline brake fluid next time I'm there.

The only thing I have found that wasn't FM modified was Supertech gear oil. I'm not sure of any of brands that sell synthetic non FM modified.

Are you just wanting something that's on the shelf locally? Which stores do you have available?

Doesn't have to be local, I don't mind ordering online. I'm in California so we have O'reilly, Pep Boys, Autozone, NAPA.

Yes. Any DOT3 will be fine for your brakes as long as you change it every few years like you seem to be doing. But still, I'd use DOT4 for the higher dry and wet boiling points for not too much more (and is often on sale).

That said, if you have O'Reilly nearby, they have Wagner Severe Duty non-silicone DOT 5.1 for about $15/qt.

But really, changing it every few years is MUCH more important than what brand you use. Even Walmart DOT3 is sufficient.

Maxlife PSF will be fine for your PS.

Are you just wanting something that's on the shelf locally? Which stores do you have available?

Doesn't have to be local, I don't mind ordering online. I'm in California so we have O'reilly, Pep Boys, Autozone, NAPA.

You have many choices; just pick a product that's intended for heavy-duty usage. For example: https://mobildelvac.com/en/ancillary-products/mobil-delvac-synthetic-gear-oil

The only thing I have found that wasn't FM modified was Supertech gear oil. I'm not sure of any of brands that sell synthetic non FM modified.

Red Line 75W90 NS is a synthetic with no friction modifiers.

I had a Truetrac installed in my '06 Sierra last spring. They told me they put Mobil1 in it. After about 2 months I changed it to Supertech 75W90 since I wanted to get away from an oil containing FMs (something the Mobil 1 does contain). The differential seems to slip less/hook up more securely with the Supertech. It also seems to make more clunking noises with the Supertech compared to the Mobil1.

Valvoline Dexron VI in the trans for the last 85K (no issues). GM Auto-Trak II in the Xfr case.

Valvoline Brake fluid for about 2 years now (no issues).

GM PS fluid.

Originally Posted By: Brian Barnhart
I had a Truetrac installed in my '06 Sierra last spring. They told me they put Mobil1 in it. After about 2 months I changed it to Supertech 75W90 since I wanted to get away from an oil containing FMs (something the Mobil 1 does contain). The differential seems to slip less/hook up more securely with the Supertech. It also seems to make more clunking noises with the Supertech compared to the Mobil1.

Valvoline Dexron VI in the trans for the last 85K (no issues). GM Auto-Trak II in the Xfr case.

Valvoline Brake fluid for about 2 years now (no issues).

GM PS fluid.

I read that thread you started. Is more additional noise since you changed fluid a bad thing? Only time my TruTrac gets put to use is when I go to Mammoth and their is snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back