FRAM XG7317 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter was in use on a 2011 Honda CR-Z for 8,300 miles and 7 months.

x0Vlwx0.jpg

W6jV5MA.jpg

xgzg8SP.jpg

Hjpx6MM.jpg

I would be worried about those little hairs "synthetic fibers" coming off and getting mixed in the engine oil. one loose hair coming off will blow your 99% efficiency rating on that filter.

There have been some reports on I8MUD board about the hairs/synthetic fibers coming off the vaunted toyota 90915-20004 synthetic medium filter and getting mixed with the engine oil. I'm coming to conclusion that you can't really go wrong with good old cellulose in a quality constructed filter.

Great looking filter altogether though!

Originally Posted By: Hessam
I would be worried about those little hairs "synthetic fibers" coming off and getting mixed in the engine oil.

The 2nd layer isn't hairy, so if any fibers come off the 1st layer they will be stopped by the 2nd layer.

I would be worried about those little hairs "synthetic fibers" coming off and getting mixed in the engine oil. one loose hair coming off will blow your 99% efficiency rating on that filter.

There have been some reports on I8MUD board about the hairs/synthetic fibers coming off the vaunted toyota 90915-20004 synthetic medium filter and getting mixed with the engine oil. I'm coming to conclusion that you can't really go wrong with good old cellulose in a quality constructed filter.

Great looking filter altogether though!
If a "hair" came off, where would it go? The DP would just push it into the media anyway. I have nothing against a good cellulose filter, but they don't have any advantage (other than price) over an all synthetic media filter such as an Ultra, RP, Donaldson, Stratapore, etc.

My daughter 2014(bought May 2014) had the last free oil change at dealer(2 years or 30k miles). She drives a lot, around 20-23k miles a year but somehow the MM went down to 15% around 7-9k miles.

I intend to use Mobil 1 0W20 EP with Fram Ultra XG7317 on the next oil change and keep it for 2 OCI's. I'll reset MM when it goes down to 15-20% but not changing oil and filter, only change it out on the next 15%.

The car seems to consume no oil, but I'll buy 5-qt jug and ater change the remaining of about 0.7 qt will be use for top-off if needed.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would be worried about those little hairs "synthetic fibers" coming off and getting mixed in the engine oil. one loose hair coming off will blow your 99% efficiency rating on that filter. There have been some reports on I8MUD board about the hairs/synthetic fibers coming off the vaunted toyota 90915-20004 synthetic medium filter and getting mixed with the engine oil. I'm coming to conclusion that you can't really go wrong with good old cellulose in a quality constructed filter. Great looking filter altogether though!
If a "hair" came off, where would it go? The DP would just push it into the media anyway. I have nothing against a good cellulose filter, but they don't have any advantage (other than price) over an all synthetic media filter such as an Ultra, RP, Donaldson, Stratapore, etc.
Agreed and it is hairy from opening it (potentially dragging the can against the media) and from the paper towel trick to wick the oil out of it.

The actual filters, all made of fibers, are tested for the efficiency numbers. I can think of other worries. The finding of fibers in the Toyota Japan filtered oil is not fact. They need to look elsewhere for fibers. I just used one before the Distance Plus on now, and the sponge like media doesn't come apart at all. As usual rumors take on a life of their own after a few repetitions of someone's erroneous opinion. "A lot of people are saying" isn't fact.

Another Fram Ultra that looks great, I bet it could go another OCI no problem (doesn't Honda allow for changing every other OCI anyway?)

Looks like a fine filter to me.

What's with the media color difference on both sides of the metal crimp? Looks like a copper looking color, but definitely lighter than the rest of the filter.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Are they loose fibers or just sticking out but still embedded in the media?

The only place where the filter media contacted the shell when I opened it can be seen on the first pleat to the right of the seam. It is possible that the paper towel disturbed some fibers. The small fibers that you see sticking out can be pulled out very easily, but I think they are embedded (the filter media never experience that type of force anyways). I tried to measure the fibers that are sticking out, but they are thinner than the precision of my digital caliper which reads out to 0.001 in.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Another Fram Ultra that looks great, I bet it could go another OCI no problem (doesn't Honda allow for changing every other OCI anyway?)

Honda does say to run the filter for two oil changes. However, this car is going to start being used at track events soon, so a fresh filter and 0.3 quarts more fresh oil is good for peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: BigD1

What's with the media color difference on both sides of the metal crimp? Looks like a copper looking color, but definitely lighter than the rest of the filter.

You can see lighter areas of filter media spread randomly throughout the surface. It could be a different filter media showing through or maybe some areas are drier than others, not sure.

So how do you guys know that a filter is good from looking at a pic of a dirty oil filter?? They all look alike to me. DIRTY Yet everyone says it "looks great".

Originally Posted By: loneryder
So how do you guys know that a filter is good from looking at a pic of a dirty oil filter?? They all look alike to me. DIRTY Yet everyone says it "looks great".

We're primarily looking for pleats that are straight up and down and evenly spaced.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I would be worried about those little hairs "synthetic fibers" coming off and getting mixed in the engine oil.

The 2nd layer isn't hairy, so if any fibers come off the 1st layer they will be stopped by the 2nd layer.

Even in bypass?

Originally Posted By: loneryder

Of course they are dirty. I have seen pics of filters that have literally fell apart at the seams, or have torn holes in the media, and pleats so wavy that it looks like it's ready to fall apart whether it is or not. So yes the OP's filter looks fine to me.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Even in bypass?

1) I highly doubt the full synthetic Ultra goes into bypass much if any, unless it was very clogged up and/or someone redlined their engine 3 seconds after a pretty cold weather start-up.

2) Even if it went into bypass, there is still enough flow through all the media to keep any "hairs" pushed up tight against the media.

Now full synthetic filters that are not dual layer may be a different animal. If the media is one hairy layer then it might be possible that some hairs break off during use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back