Silverado spare tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question.

My truck has 275-55-R20 wheels and the spare is 245-70-R17. That is a 30.5" vs 31.9" or 1.4" height difference.

Since my truck is a 2WD, if I have a flat tire on the front, no biggie. If I have a flat on the rear, would this mess the differential up with the sizes being so different? This assumes I drive less than 20 miles.

Thanks.

If you have a flat on the rear, then put the spare up front and move one of the good front tires to the rear
smile.gif

You might also look into getting a 20-inch wheel from the junkyard.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If you have a flat on the rear, then put the spare up front and move one of the good front tires to the rear
smile.gif

You might also look into getting a 20-inch wheel from the junkyard.

Funny.

I thought about that, but the vehicle only comes with one jack. I also HIGHLY doubt the little junker jack could lift the entire side of the truck.

I thought about getting a 20" steel wheel from a salvage yard, but it looks like it would touch the exhaust.

If you were this paranoid you'd just lift the front corner and replace one perfectly good tire with another. Then repeat in the rear.

In reality though you'd be on the side of the road in the rain late for work, and say, screw it, it's only ten miles.

Do you have limited slip or locking rear? If so, then I'd rotate the spare to the front in an emergency. If its an open dif, it really won't matter unless you plan on running it long term

Originally Posted By: stchman

Funny.

I thought about that, but the vehicle only comes with one jack. I also HIGHLY doubt the little junker jack could lift the entire side of the truck.

I thought about getting a 20" steel wheel from a salvage yard, but it looks like it would touch the exhaust.

You don't need to lift the entire side of the truck.

What you'd do is lift the front, take off one of the front tires, then out the spare on the front. Then lower the truck and take the jack off.

THEN, jack the rear up, take the bad tire off, and install the front tire that you just took off
smile.gif

I thought the spare was 245/75/17 on the newer Chev and GMCs that come with the 20" option?
If that was a dealer swap, just go in and get the correct OD tire. No big deal.
My 2015, 1500 rental last week had 255/70/17s that are 10X31"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back