How much should a rear brake and rotor job be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great. While driving the death mobile
crazy2.gif

Do you know what would happen to your Civic if it got hit by the Expedition? I do. It isn't pretty.

So you have something hanging down in the front end and a pool of brake fluid. Dude, your Expie is a beater! That's sad.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Great. While driving the death mobile
crazy2.gif

Do you know what would happen to your Civic if it got hit by the Expedition? I do. It isn't pretty.

We have devised a plan:

1. Since her and I both have to be at work, in close proximoty to each other, and the truck is not 100%... I am going to sleep in it tonight, to minimize time on the road.

Might call in a mobile mechanic.

So you have something hanging down in the front end and a pool of brake fluid. Dude, your Expie is a beater! That's sad.

The underside would make you cringe, brother! CRINGE!
eek.gif

Dude, get under the friggin' vehicle and find the leak, this is hardly complicated. You can buy a brake flare kit for a few bucks too. You could do your own lines. This isn't difficult.

Dude, get under the friggin' vehicle and find the leak, this is hardly complicated. You can buy a brake flare kit for a few bucks too. You could do your own lines. This isn't difficult.

What is the cost of investment In tools....

Yes, it is DOT3. This vehicle is retardedly easy to work on. There's really no excuse not to be able to do it yourself if cost is an issue. You don't even need a jack, I do my oil changes in the driveway on a creeper just sliding underneath.

Yes, it is DOT3. This vehicle is retardedly easy to work on. There's really no excuse not to be able to do it yourself if cost is an issue. You don't even need a jack, I do my oil changes in the driveway on a creeper just sliding underneath.

I am AGREEING with you... the point where we go back/forth with her/I is the issue of females in general, and "who works on it" and such. She don't want my first brake job to be on her truck. Even if it is ideal.. compared to my S-10 Tahoe and Honda.. neither of which needs brakes.

We came into this thing with me with one truck I am not ready to give to the BITOG foray yet over "Ghosts of BITOG Past" (though I will at some point in the future,) and the Honda. Sounds like main cost on the Expedition (her baby) is parts.. as ghetto-fied as it may be. (Door wont lock, door wont open, see that bent running board?, cracked window guard?, mirror?, etc.)

And eljefino, OVERKILL says the rears are disc? But.. do discs have "wheel cylinders" too?. How much do they run?

And I would love to learn on a "retardedly easy vehicle." Not my wanna-be 90s GM luxo-truck, though the 4.3 is beastly when it comes works right... maybe the Honda, when it is "inner tie rod" time? Yea?

It only has rear calipers, not wheel cylinders.

Find the leak yet? Even if you aren't going to wrench on it, nothing wrong with getting under there with the camera/flashlight and finding the leak.

It's either one of three things.

1. Bad caliper leaking
2. Loose brake line going into the caliper
3. Rusty brake line

1 & 2 are about as easy as car repairs can get. All either one would take in tools is a few wrenches, so $15 for a set of wrenches. A caliper is about $50

It only has rear calipers, not wheel cylinders.

Find the leak yet? Even if you aren't going to wrench on it, nothing wrong with getting under there with the camera/flashlight and finding the leak.

Sorry for the delay... 11:51PM and I just let the flashlight and flash photo illuminate the leak. I caught a drip. "Seems like a caliper, based on the drip." Will look again but.. here I am thinking pads and rotors etc. Which it probably still needs. Just not to the point of leaking brake fluid. All speculation..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back