Does Motorcraft Oil Meet Chrysler Specification?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only certified for Fords. Being certified for Chrysler would kind of silly. If you like it try out Kendall syn blend.

I feel like it wouldnt be on walmart shelves just for a select few ford owners. Im sure its a great oil and will do just fine in any vehicle thats not a euro. It would be a slap in the face if they put chrysler specs on the bottle but im sure it meets all of todays standards for most vehicles.

Why more and more car manufactures are having their own oil spec's ? Used to be only few European manufactures have their own oil spec's, and now Detroit big-3 each has their own spec's, API spec isn't good enough ?

Of all Japanese manufactures only Honda has an oil spec for turbo engine in RDX, that I know of. May be other oil spec's for high performance car such as Lexus LFA ?

Many drivers don't even know the recommended oil grade for their vehicles, now they need to read the fine print on the back to find spec XXXX for their engines.

Its doesn't meet their specs, but it'll work.
banana2.gif

Motorcraft 5W-20 Full Synthetic is SN rated and meets IL SAC GF-5 Specifications. Why would Ford certify it to meet Chrysler specification? I don't know, maybe to sell more oil? The reason I ask is that I could not find the answer anywhere on the net. I have 7 quarts left over that was meant for a car I traded. Two new vehicles I have both call for 5W-20 (2014 Ram and 2015 Challenger). Trying to decide whether to use or sell the oil.

This would be like Jeep specifying the FL400S on the 3.8 engine. Sure it works, but it wasn't originally designed for a Chrysler. IMO, Motorcraft oil (and filters) don't exist to any manufacturer besides Ford. Same goes with Mopar, Toyota etc.

If your car is naturally aspirated, requires nothing special etc. then the specs are just for warranty purposes IMO. The only thing you really have to look at is the current API rating and whether or not your engine is compatible with it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
No, why would it?

IDK, so they could use it at Quick Lane?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tabor
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
No, why would it?

IDK, so they could use it at Quick Lane?

They probably use a bulk oil (not Motorcraft) for vehicles requiring things other than the Ford approvals. Or they buy bottles. Our local Quick Lane uses Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Why more and more car manufactures are having their own oil spec's ? Used to be only few European manufactures have their own oil spec's, and now Detroit big-3 each has their own spec's, API spec isn't good enough ?

Of all Japanese manufactures only Honda has an oil spec for turbo engine in RDX, that I know of. May be other oil spec's for high performance car such as Lexus LFA ?

Many drivers don't even know the recommended oil grade for their vehicles, now they need to read the fine print on the back to find spec XXXX for their engines.

No, in many instances the basic API approval isn't good enough, particularly in applications that are hard on oil. The Honda VCM engines are an example of that, so are the Toyota sludgers. Engines that were supposed to be fine on the basic API stuff but obviously weren't.

Also, Nissan has their own spec for the GT-R (Mobil 1 0w-40).

The API has been behind the times forever. That's why the big diesel manufacturers came up with their own specs. That's why ACEA exists! Doug Hillary has posted extensively on it in the past.

my old Neon had several 7k mi oci's early in it's life(back when it was still a Dallas Commuter car) with Motorcraft blend 5w20, and a Motorcraft filter. not one negative effect.

If a Chrysler comes in where I work (ford dealer) and it's a 5w20 specd vehicle we use Motorcraft 5w20. I'm not sure what Chrysler stipulations are but Mc 5w20 is more than adequate for a mopar. Ford for example states Any oil meeting api specs and is sn approved it's fine for use. I doubt Chrysler is to much different than that.

doing a quick google search for "MS 6395", I found a thread on this site from back in 2007( MS 6395 -- What oils meet it? ), in which user "ewetho" said the following:(I'll Underline and color the important bit)
"When I first got my 04 Neon I was looking into this heavily. I actually got the latest spec from Mopar and it was with one exception was LINE for LINE GF-4. So SL GF-3 with MS-6395 was oil that met GF-4 before it was finalized."

Originally Posted By: ram_man
If a Chrysler comes in where I work (ford dealer) and it's a 5w20 specd vehicle we use Motorcraft 5w20. I'm not sure what Chrysler stipulations are but Mc 5w20 is more than adequate for a mopar. Ford for example states Any oil meeting api specs and is sn approved it's fine for use. I doubt Chrysler is to much different than that.

That's my point that the Chrysler spec is meaningless. We use M1 5-30 in my sons late model Dodge truck V6 and it has performed very well. Smoke and mirrors IMHO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back