Use winter wheels without the TPMS? (Corolla)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of buying a set of steel wheels without the sensors for my winter tires, I know the light on the dash will stay on. My question is when I put the regular wheels back on in the spring that do have the sensors will the light go out or do I have to do anything? I know there is a reset button under the dash.

Last edited:
I had one vehicle where the light went out and another that I had to take to the dealer to clear (for free). I guess the answer to your question then is, it depends.

Yes, I've always used steel wheels without the TPMS sensors. Once I reinstall the stock / warm weather setup, I just confirm they're properly inflated and reset the system using the button.

I do this every year on my Ford Taurus. The light blinks all winter, but I put a piece of electrical tape over it until spring. The light disappears by itself when I put the regular tires back on.

I'm not aware of any reset button on my car.

I have a 2008 Corolla that I do this with.....the light goes out when the regular tires go back on.

Does this mean that you'd be responsible for monitoring your own tire pressures? This would be just like in the old days before we had all this help from the government.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Does this mean that you'd be responsible for monitoring your own tire pressures? This would be just like in the old days before we had all this help from the government.

Exactly. TPMS is another improvement I'd be very happy living without.
27.gif

Sadly....if you were the cause of a wreck because of a blown/flat or whatever tire with people killed, now-a-days the lawyers would eat you alive. Yes I know the odds, just sayin'.

I have the sensors in my winter tires for my Accent as they are mounted on the OEM wheels. Summer time I have the light with my sensor less aftermarket wheels. My other car never will have the sensors again.

While resetting the TPMS is probably trivial, you may encounter a problem with finding a shop that will install the steels without sensors. It's not illegal for you to decide to run without the TPMS, but it is illegal for a shop to put the wheels on for you. On the other hand, a large number of shops either don't know that or don't care, so you may not have an issue, but don't be surprised if you have to shop around a bit to find somebody to do the swap.

Originally Posted By: AboutTires
it is illegal for a shop to put the wheels on for you.

Just give them the wheels and ask them to put tires on for you. YOU put the assemblies on the car.

You don't have to tell the tire shop what car they're for, and chances are excellent that they won't ask.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
TPMS is another improvement I'd be very happy living without.

Write to your Congressman and tell him that. He's responsible for TPMS; automakers don't install them just for fun.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: AboutTires
it is illegal for a shop to put the wheels on for you.

Just give them the wheels and ask them to put tires on for you. YOU put the assemblies on the car.

You don't have to tell the tire shop what car they're for, and chances are excellent that they won't ask.

This is what I do as neither of my cars have the OEM sized wheels and tires anymore. The tire stores look at the tire size placard and say they can't put them on if they are different.

My wife's Ford Flex, we have 4 snows on their own alloys, the TPMS light flashes when these are installed and right after the summers are mounted the warning does not come on. No biggie.

My Maxima, same thing, the light flashes - but the dealer confirmed once the summers are back on, all will be fine. No resetting anything.

I think the on-board sensor looks for a signal from the 4 wheels TPM and then ping them every so often to confirm both the pressure and presence of the wheel sensor. The RR wheel falls off...the system tells you there is a TPMS system error
laugh.gif

Any inspection station worth their salt would not inspect a vehicle without TPMS if the vehicle is supposed to have them. So if you are supposed to have TPMS and you decide to run wheels without them, be sure that the inspection time (month(s)) is when you are running the TPMS.

If you get plain jane steel wheels do your self a favor and get some spray cans of Rustoleum semi-gloss black and spray those steel wheels well on the parts not covered up by the tire. The paint job steel wheels come with is an absolute bare minimum and is not enough to stop rust.

Any inspection station worth their salt would not inspect a vehicle without TPMS if the vehicle is supposed to have them. So if you are supposed to have TPMS and you decide to run wheels without them, be sure that the inspection time (month(s)) is when you are running the TPMS.

If you get plain jane steel wheels and use cheap plastic wheel covers, do your self a favor and get some spray cans of Rustoleum semi-gloss black and spray those steel wheels well on the parts not covered up by the tire. The paint job steel wheels come with is an absolute bare minimum and is not enough to stop rust.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Sadly....if you were the cause of a wreck because of a blown/flat or whatever tire with people killed, now-a-days the lawyers would eat you alive. Yes I know the odds, just sayin'.

We have a politician in the making. I can see the next step suggested by our politician apprentice. How about a Internet device powered by Java in every new car that will automatically email you a citation every time your tire pressures go below the limit so that a "lawyer won't eat you alive" for having a flat tire and killing people. Without government supervision we will all be lost forever.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: oldhp

We have a politician in the making. I can see the next step suggested by our politician apprentice. How about a Internet device powered by Java in every new car that will automatically email you a citation every time your tire pressures go below the limit so that a "lawyer won't eat you alive" for having a flat tire and killing people. Without government supervision we will all be lost forever.

Is there any particular reason why you are taking a shot at someone who's just laying out a possibility that could very well happen, under exactly the wrong circumstances?

How about someone creates an internet browser add-on feature when every time you start to post something negative about another person on the internet, it erases everything you write, just before you hit the submit button?

Oldhp wasn't even saying that the OP shouldn't run without TPMS, he was just pointing out that if an accident happens when driving a car without a properly functioning TPMS, that a lawyer might use it to his client's advantage.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
TPMS is another improvement I'd be very happy living without.

Write to your Congressman and tell him that. He's responsible for TPMS; automakers don't install them just for fun.

No thanks I'll pass. I have more important things to waste my time on.

The liability argument is a bizarre diversion. Even the first sentence......if you are the cause of the accident......at that point you are already liable. Period. Driving too fast, poorly, without the right eyeglasses, wrong lane change, red light, two bags of cement in the trunk, nope you are liable if you cause the accident. Your car will be towed away and no one will be inside hanging by their toes looking at the TPMS light. Mine never come on anyway until I have driven for several minutes each day.

So, run winter tires and greatly reduce your chances of causing the accident. And being alive! Buy the TPMS sensors if you do not like tire gauges. DO NOT let the cost of the sensors prevent you from buying winter tire packages!!

I have run winter tires for over 20 years, they are often stunningly better then regular tires.
No, I do not put TPMS sensors in my winter tires, on both the Corolla and the Sienna the light is on during the winter, goes out in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back