Using the PF13 instead of the AC Delco PF53

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L takes a PF53, which is the same size as the OEM Denso filter. I am looking for a bigger alternative to the PF53 Duraguard.

I was changing the oil on a Jeep 4.0L which is suppose to take the PF13 (larger than the PF53) but it had a PF53 on it.

So, since they both have the same size threads and stuff, would it be safe for me to start using a PF13 instead of a PF53?

youngbuck:
Don't know about how safe it will be for your engine, but....My Saab spec's the PF53, but older Saabs spec'ed the PF13, for essentially the same engine. I've been using the PF13-sized filters (eg PL14670), and one even bigger, the FL1A for the last 5 years with absolutely no problems. Gives an increase, somewhat, in oil sump capacity, especially the FL1A. You might also consider the Ford FL400S filter (both FL1A and FL400s are being closed out at Walmart for about 3 bucks--I absolutely love the FL400S, btw).

all of the above filters are 3/4-16 with approximately the same ADBV settings.

If you have room, go for the biggest filter you can get under the hood.

BTW, where in CO are you? I used to live in the Republic of Boulder!

Yes, the PF53, PF13 & PFL400A all have the same thread pitch & bypass valve pressure rating. Using the PF53 as a starting point, the PF13 is the same length but fatter, & the PFL400A is the same diameter but longer. Use either fatter or longer, depending on the space you have available.

cheers.gif

Ok sounds good. I can get these filters for free, which is why I'm going to use AC Delcos.

I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't negatively affect oil flow or anything else.

PF 13, PF53 ?
Are these all Frams ?

I use Purolator ...241(10241) in the Saab 900ng, and am thing of switching, next year to Purolator ....195 (20195).

I do not like the tiny filters of today, this, IMO, is just plain stupid...

No, PF filters mentioned above (PF13, PF53, PFL400A) are the ACDelco Duraguard filters. Blue in color.

So I wonder would would be better between the PF13 and PFL400A? One is short but fat, and the other long but skinny. I'm sure it's not much of a difference if at all, but just wondering if somebody has an opinion.

I used to peruse the oil filter interchangeably lists and determined that the Purolator 17, 33 and 81 were much the same. At least for a Saab...
And these worked for me - no leaks, no problems..

But I have not seen any lists recently.
The presence of an anti-drain-back valve is most important, I think..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back