Specially Designed for Synthetic Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the exact quote and how it's written in the sales ad:

"Specially Designed for Use with FULL SYNTHETIC Motor Oil !"

So if a guy was to try to run dino oil in his engine with a NAPA Platinum oil filter, what would happen ?

15.gif

I'm going to go out on a limb and state they probably are referencing extended drain interval.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

So if a guy was to try to run dino oil in his engine with a NAPA Platinum oil filter, what would happen ?

That thick crud will clog her right up.

What car are we talking about?

It's a 2000 Buick LeSabre and I was cautiously thinking about running Mobil Super 5000 10W-30 thru it.

I'm just wondering why the other oil filter companies with synthetic media oil filters aren't specifying synthetic oil.
21.gif

They are designed for longer drain intervals. If I were to use conventional I would use a regular filter, or at most a syn blend filter like the Fram TG.

Well, I picked up two of them today on promo.

They came to $8.16 out the door for each filter.

I figure I'll run them for two OCI's which would be a whole year.

At 50% efficiency not sure I'd run them at all. Maybe by the end of a year they will have clawed their way up to 60% efficient.
smirk.gif

I think that the marketing statement..."specificaly designed for synthetic motor oil"...means that the two(filter & syn oil) will make a good team in a engine.

Not meaning that the filter was only designed to use synthetic motor oil. Then the manufacturer would have had to spceify a specific grade of oil in that case!

I may just go ahead and try SuperTech full synthetic so that the stars and the moon are in alignment.

Conventional oil would solidify, block oil flow,starve internal engine components of lubrication and eventual meltdown of all systems.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

What they state:
"Specifically Designed for Use with FULL SYNTHETIC Motor Oil !"

What they really mean:
"Specifically Designed for the intent and predication of MARKETING Premium Products that will go under-utilized regardless of which oil may be used, but are intended to catch the eye of the FULL SYNTHETIC Motor Oil waster !"

What would happen if you ran dino in such a filter? The same thing that would happen to any lube in just about any other filter; the particulate would be captured based upon the ISO beta efficency of any particular product you select.

The inference has been mentioned previously; these type filters are a good match for syn lubes that are used in L-O-N-G OCIs. They have a higher holding capacity for containment, and therefore support longer duration of use. However, if you don't subscribe to the really long OCI practice, they are a complete and total waste of money (that goes for both the lube and the filter). If you do not put yourself in a position to glean the true advantage, then the "benefit" is only perceived and not realized.

I agree with everyone and say it means longer OCI's. Maybe 7500+? While I know more has been done on a Purolator Classic, this is the mileage I would feel comfortable with for needing an extended OCI filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back