What is the efficiency rating of an e-core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running an AC Delco branded e-core on my truck and was wondering what the efficiency rating is. I checked the Champ Labs site and Googled my way through various e-core related threads on this site and it's nowhere to be found.
confused2.gif
Just looking for a stat such as "96% at 20 microns". Anybody know?

When it blows a hole through the media, its' probably around 96% @ 6350 microns (1/4").
smile.gif

Don't know the real answer ... the spec might not really be available to the public.

AC Delco lists efficiency of 98% at 25-30 microns. STP filters advertise 96% efficiency. I am assuming at 25 microns.
I would not be concerned about media blowing out. There are very few reported cases, especially with the number of quick lubes using them, Jiffy Lube included.
I run them by choice and with complete confidence. Right now I have one on my Cherokee with 10w40 conventional, and temperatures still regularly below zero.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The reason they don't get reported is diyers aren't using them and the iffy lube isn't going to look for it.

There would be engine damage complaints I am sure.
I have complete confidence in the durability of the media. The design of the filter itself allows for enough flex to help avoid media damage under high pressures.
Furthermore, like what we have seen recently with Purolators, pleat spacing is key. In an e-core you can easily see the pleat spacing around the center cage because it wide open. Therefore you can make sure you buy a filter with properly spaced media. No surprises.

You can run an engine with no filter and not see immediate damage, so a small hole isn't going to ruin the engine even if wear metals do go up. A cellulose filter will still catch contamination even with a big hole, it might just take more passes.

I just don't see that it's a better filter... Maybe better than the Purolator but I'll stick with Fram Ultras for now.

Originally Posted By: salv
AC Delco lists efficiency of 98% at 25-30 microns. STP filters advertise 96% efficiency. I am assuming at 25 microns.

Thank you!

Guys, I'm not concerned about the filter construction. I bought the PF52E because at the time I had no idea what an e-core even was. I chose AC Delco because I thought, "Good enough for GM, good enough for me", then got the filter home, did some researched and learned what it was. I still used it and I'll be removing it probably sometime in the next two weeks and I'll definitely cut it open and post pics.

I already have a P1 ready to go for my next OCI (bought it months ago before the Tearalator scandal) so I'm going from one controversial filter to the next. And I've decided that I'm using orange cans on this truck after the P1, so...

Don't pull the e core early, run it to its limits and let us know if it has a failure. You should be able to see the e core failure through the outside of the filter without cutting it open.

Don't pull the e core early, run it to its limits and let us know if it has a failure. You should be able to see the e core failure through the outside of the filter without cutting it open.

I'm running my e-core exactly as long as I want to run it, which is another couple weeks for a total of five months in my short tripper. Run it "to it's limits and let us know if it has a failure" after you criticize how these filters blow holes in the media?. I'm not your guinea pig here chief, I don't adjust my OCIs to fulfill the fantasies of this forum. How 'bout you run an e-core on your vehicle for as long as you'd like if you're so inclined to see the results? I'm due for an oil change and I'm not running this one filter for two OCIs.

I ran a bunch of AC Delco Ecores on my 93 silverado. I got them on clearance at Walmart for $1.50. I cut them all open after use, and they all looked fine. Wix is my filter of choice, but I just couldn't turn them down for the price.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

I'm running my e-core exactly as long as I want to run it, which is another couple weeks for a total of five months in my short tripper. Run it "to it's limits and let us know if it has a failure" after you criticize how these filters blow holes in the media?. I'm not your guinea pig here chief, I don't adjust my OCIs to fulfill the fantasies of this forum. How 'bout you run an e-core on your vehicle for as long as you'd like if you're so inclined to see the results? I'm due for an oil change and I'm not running this one filter for two OCIs.

"I'm not your guinea pig here chief" ...
lol.gif

Don't let the scary e-core stuff you read on here disuade you. Millions of them are sold and used on various vehicles every year. People will split a frog's hair apart on here.

Quote:
AC Delco lists efficiency of 98% at 25-30 microns. STP filters advertise 96% efficiency. I am assuming at 25 microns....

I'd like to see a published citing on those specs. Afaik, those specs are not listed on the box, nor have I seen them published. I do see that spec listed on Amazon, BUT, it says based on "single-pass filtering efficiency". Single pass efficiency is not the ISO 4548-12 multi-pass industry standard. And based previous old single pass testing, they tend to 'look' better than multi pass testing. So I consider that to be a bogus and unreliable spec with a large fudge factor built in. In any case, single pass testing is not the industry standard for an apples to apples comparison.

As far as "assuming" what the micron level of the STP, why would 25um be the assumption? Why not 30 or 40 um. And if that assumption is based on a single pass testing that would be as unreliable as the AC Delco spec listed. As ACDelco is oem, those spec's are generally kept proprietary. The only ACDelco I've seen shown tested using ISO 4548-12 testing is the PF48 tested by Amsoil and I'm thinking that was/is classic construction, not ecore. It showed the PF48 to be ~95%@20um for that specific application. Note it's not some vague range like 20-30 microns.

I'm smiling that some of same folks critical of Purolator tears, would use a filter that has exhibited blown out media through the open nylon cage as shown in the link below. A tear in a metal centertube filter doesn't send media through the engine. And many/most ecore use a nitrile 'combo valve' combining the bypass and adbv in one function that is strickly done as cost saving feature over the traditional separate adbv and metal bypass used on the majority of oil filters. At least on GM application though, the bypass function is in the engine block, not so for other ecore applications though.

So, if one going to use an ecore, making an informed decision should include viewing the results of two Bitog members linked below. Caveat Emptor.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1806202&page=all

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1872312

I cut a Champ Labs STP last year and BOF also called Champ about it. They also told him the filter was "98% at 30 microns".

But the STP filter was advertised at 96% efficiency and says so right on the box. I quote:

"96% High efficiency Micropore Technology captures particles 4x smaller than the human eye can see. 20% More dirt holding capacity than other national brands.

They don't clarify exactly what brand but their little graph below has the other national brand represented in ORANGE ha ha. It goes on to say below "Multi-pass Efficiency ISO 4548-12".

I'm not sure where Blue's tech line person got 98% at but they seem to be parroting the same information over the phone.

It's good at least that it says 96% for the STP using the industry standard ISO testing. But without a published micron level to go with the percent it's basically meaningless.

And the ACDelco 98% at 25-30um quoted above and what's also listed on Amazon for the PF46, 48 etc. says single-pass filtering efficiency. Not industry standard. That leads me to wonder about the quote BOF was given too.

Personally though as I noted above, I'd have bigger questions regarding using an ecore than it's efficiency rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back