Looking for a pressure washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I would have saw this earlier and I could have steered you clear. I work on outdoor power equipment out of my home shop as a side business to earn a little extra money. Vertical engines/pumps such that you just bought, realistically only last about 50-75 hours (or less) before the pumps die. Even the cheapest horizontal engine/pump would last 10 times longer and be a much better buy.

I actually recommend the 6.5HP Harbor Freight unit for those on a budget that sells for $349.99. Use the 25% off coupon available in many magazines and the price drops to $262.50. The engine is a Honda clone engine and nothing really goes wrong with them. Usually the only repair needed is a carburetor if the engine sits too long, and the carburetors are available for the ridiculous price brand new of $15/shipped.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-psi-3-gpm-65-hp-212cc-pressure-washer-69734.html#.UxND3IVgHO8

Or the 4HP with Honda GX120 clone engine is available for $195 after coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-hp-2000-psi-gas-pressure-washer-with-wheels-98444.html#.UxNHAoVgHO8

The pump on the Harbor Freight unit is a direct copy of a CAT triplex pump and is really good. If it should ever burn out, you can replace it with an actual CAT, AR, General, or Comet name brand pump for under $150. Pumps are only bolted on with 4 bolts and it is super easy to change a bad pump.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Wish I would have saw this earlier and I could have steered you clear. I work on outdoor power equipment out of my home shop as a side business to earn a little extra money. Vertical engines/pumps such that you just bought, realistically only last about 50-75 hours (or less) before the pumps die. Even the cheapest horizontal engine/pump would last 10 times longer and be a much better buy.

I actually recommend the 6.5HP Harbor Freight unit for those on a budget that sells for $349.99. Use the 25% off coupon available in many magazines and the price drops to $262.50. The engine is a Honda clone engine and nothing really goes wrong with them. Usually the only repair needed is a carburetor if the engine sits too long, and the carburetors are available for the ridiculous price brand new of $15/shipped.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2500-psi-3-gpm-65-hp-212cc-pressure-washer-69734.html#.UxND3IVgHO8

Or the 4HP with Honda GX120 clone engine is available for $195 after coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-hp-2000-psi-gas-pressure-washer-with-wheels-98444.html#.UxNHAoVgHO8

The pump on the Harbor Freight unit is a direct copy of a CAT triplex pump and is really good. If it should ever burn out, you can replace it with an actual CAT, AR, General, or Comet name brand pump for under $150. Pumps are only bolted on with 4 bolts and it is super easy to change a bad pump.

How about an AR vertical shaft pump? I thought they would last awhile.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Pictures of the pump. What brand pump?

Update.

When I researched these pumps there were basically two types available: axial cam and triplex. The triplex pumps are much more robust than the axial cam but cost a good bit more as well. The Simpson unit that I bought has an axial cam pump of unknown manufacture. The little I do know about these things tells me that the engines almost always outlast the pumps and that leaving the pumps in recirculation mode (trigger not pulled) is the main reason that the pumps go bad. For my typical occasional homeowner use I figured that the cheaper axial cam pump would be fine.

I was able to test it out this weekend and I must say that I am pleased as punch so far. The engine fired right up on the third pull and the advertised 3000 psi certainly seems adequate for my intended uses. I have decided to zip-tie my trigger open so that when the engine is running the pump is spraying to lessen the strain on the pump. This presents some challenges for controlling the wand at start up but I think that I can manage that.

On a final note I was happy to find a fuel cutoff valve on the engine to run the fuel out, very nice.

SAM_0262-XL.jpg

SAM_0263-L.jpg

When starting up use the soap nozzle on the wand to put less strain on the pump and engine until warmed up.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How about an AR vertical shaft pump? I thought they would last awhile.

I would say that most of the vertical shaft pumps that I see in my shop broken would be AR pumps. There vertical shaft pumps are not nearly as robust as their horizontal shaft pumps in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: dave123
When starting up use the soap nozzle on the wand to put less strain on the pump and engine until warmed up.

That's not a bad idea, thanks for the tip.
thumbsup2.gif

I just clicked on the ebay link at the beginning of this thread and they have lowered the price by $10. I guess I should have waited a few weeks.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Amirkhat
Can you just leave the hose disconnected at start up or will the pressure be too high to reconnect it?

I doubt you could get it reconnected. But not sure I would try. Getting your hands that close to pressurized water could tear your skin.

Originally Posted By: Amirkhat
Can you just leave the hose disconnected at start up or will the pressure be too high to reconnect it?

You want to at least have hose and wand connected and run water till no air left in hose and wand before start up no nozzel is needed on the wand and will just run like a weak garden hose till you put nozzel on it. This is the way I start mine up or with soap nozzel connected as stated above.

I have the husky model with the (better)> pump...

It is by far the best thing I've bought from HD...

If you wish to cut the most miserable jobs down to none, acquire a rotary tip for the 3000psi unit....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back