Sopus filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up 2 QS oil filters for the Suburban, less than $2 ea. at Menards. Your thoughts?

That's a economy filter. While it may not be loaded with debris and gunk, the paper media or the glue in the end caps may not withstand longer intervals. While some people have taken it successfully on long runs, I personally prefer not to take the risk.

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
Fine for 3-5K intervals with conventional.

I do not agree.

As they are (as far as I know) rebranded Purolater classic filters, I would think they would be fine for whatever the factory OCI is. I've had them look fine at 7500, but that is as far as I have taken conventional in my Subaru.

I think that is a dog gone good price. Wish I had a Menards near me. I would go and buy several. It will go whatever interval your car recommends. Go buy some more and stock up at that price.
crazy2.gif

They will be fine for the OEM OCI, and likely longer. How much "longer" is up to the individual. But never try that without knowing the contributors and risks, and having the ability and effort to monitor.

OEM intervals, however, should not be a problem at all.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
As they are (as far as I know) rebranded Purolater classic filters,
Yes, but ARE they simply Classics with different paint on the can, or are they made to a lower spec to meet the lower price-point? If the former, it's a darned good deal...

I've read that some Dollar General stores carry QS filters. I haven't found one yet. I did buy a Havoline oil filter a Freds here in my small community. I was actually surprised at how well it was put together. I didn't have photo capabilities when I did this a month or so ago. Nice, metal end caps that I could not separate the filter media from. Filter media looked good with more than 40 pleats (can't remember exact count). Rubber nitrile ADV. The only thing that looked, in my unprofessional opinion, a little weak was the pressure relief valve. And it was probably more than adequate. All in all, for less than $3, I'd throw one on in a heartbeat if I didn't have a stash already.

I've used them for the last year or two and have not had any issues. I first became aware of them when I was searching for an alternative to the filters that Briggs & Stratton engines use. They're no different than their Purolator Classic cousins as far as I can tell. This particular filter seems to have the pleats glued in very well and has plenty of pleats for a $1.99 filter. The only better value in filters is going to K-Mart to find the Purolator variant for $1.50! If I remember correctly, there were close to sixty pleats on this one! They're a fine filter for the money.

QS3614-1_zps52334f26.jpeg

QS3614-2_zpsf8789ea8.jpeg

Originally Posted By: bds1984
They're no different than their Purolator Classic cousins as far as I can tell.

Well, maybe yes and maybe no. Did you ever take a QS 8A and put it next to a Fram PH 8A? There is a huge size difference. The QS 8A filter is the same size as a Fram PH3600. Will the QS 8A work? Sure, just don't expect it to hold the same amount of dirt. BTW, I'm still a big fan of the QS filters and I've bought dozens of them at Menards.

That 3614 looks great!

I don't think there is a QS16 either, they spec the 3600 in it's place instead. Totally different filter but will still work just fine in a PH16 application. I have often done the same thing by running the FL-400s instead of the spec PH16 equivalent.

Funny how if you make a non-spec filter switch it's witchcraft according to filter manufacturers, but if they do the same "plug and play" substitution it's just fine.
06.gif

Well true, the difference between the QS8A and a PH8A is quite a difference. I was merely comparing the PL10241 and the QS3614 when I sais there is minimal/no difference. I have a surplus of the Purolators of the identical size so maybe I will have to cut open another one so we have a side-by-side comparison of them.

yes they've done something different with the QS line of filters, they've made the 8A smaller in diameter then a 3001 puro and the 3600 is shorter then it used to be.

also they've eliminted the QS2 (l24651 equiv) and now have a Qs173 instead, quite a bit smaller around but works just fine

cut open 2 quakerstate filters the other day from oil changes awhile back, nothing bad found, seem to be on par with any other quality filter, and with 2 dollars sales at menards very good deal.

I have a quite a few of the 14612 qs and of the 3614's for the bikes and lawnmowers and i also use the 3614 for a transmission filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back