A Good Filter for 94 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
F22B2 engine, probably going to keep using Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w 30 for the Canadian winter here at Toronto. Any suggestions? currently using Mobil 1 oil filter and I'll be changing oil soon.

M1 is a good filter, just expensive. How long is the OCI?
If you are doing a 5-10km OCI you could always try a Bosch filter for $7.00 or a Purolator classic (nitrile adbv though)for about $5 at Walmart. Nothing wrong with the Honda A02 either.

If you don't want to use a Honda filter made by Fram, you can get a better filter from another dealer: Mitsubishi, Hyundai/Kia. My choice would be a Hyundai/Kia filter made in Korea by Dongwoo/Mann.

We've owned a lot of Hondas, including two 2.2s, one of which had VTEC and I can tell you that they aren't at all picky about oil filters.
I've used them all on various Hondas over the last three decades and it really doesn't seem to make much difference even in very cold weather.
Don't overthink this. Just use a name brand oil filter and the engine will be fine.
If you want to do something positive for the engine, you could use an oil with better cold specs for the winter, although the engine should be fine with PYB.

I prefer Purolator Classic at Walmart for $5 or so. Fram is referred to here in the blogs as the OCOD. (Orange Can of Death)

Last edited:
If I was stuck buying a filter at Canadian Tire, for instance, and did want to spend Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 dollars, I'd just go with the QS filter.

That being said, there's a reason I don't buy filters at Canadian Tire. They are either overpriced (Fram orange can or the Canadian Tire house brand) or overkill (Ultra and M1).

Originally Posted By: imcharlescee
Thanks guys, will FRAM oil filter be okay? (It's so cheap)

Then why not to get an OEM Honda filter? It is a lot better than your regular Fram.

The Fram Tough Guard is a good filter, as is the Ultra. Purolator Classic is a good short OCI filter, and the Pure One is good for 5K-7.5K depending on how clean your engine is. I would avoid the Fram Extra Guard (orange can), although its probably good for 3K miles. The Honda A02 is also a good choice.

Thanks guys, will FRAM oil filter be okay? (It's so cheap)

Just stay away from the FRAM in the ORANGE can.

Fram Tough Gaurd or FRAM Ultra is a very smart / wise choice .

For the $, you simply cant beat FRAM ULTRA..

I would look into that if I were you.

They are also called FRAM Synthetic...

same thing as FRAM ULTRA..

check them out.

great oil filter.

A couple of fairly new members have picked up on the Fram orange can hatation.
Ignore it.
If you can get the Fram for a reasonable amount, they're perfectly good oil filters.
I used them for decades as a matter of preference with not a single problem in any application.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If you can get the Fram for a reasonable amount, they're perfectly good oil filters.

He's up here. He won't find them at a reasonable amount unless he's getting a corporate rate and buys somewhere else than Canadian Tire or Partsource. With the price that the orange can goes for up here, it's not even on my radar. It often costs more than the Wix, and always significantly more than a Purolator Classic.

Hey peeps, so I did my oil change and settled for Quaker State. I guess it was a good thing that I bought M1 before because when I changed my oil (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) it was BLACK. I was only a little over 100 kms of my 5000 kms OCI. I'm hoping that this new oil change won't be as harsh to my cheap Quaker state oil filter.

Hey peeps, so I did my oil change and settled for Quaker State. I guess it was a good thing that I bought M1 before because when I changed my oil (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) it was BLACK. I was only a little over 100 kms of my 5000 kms OCI. I'm hoping that this new oil change won't be as harsh to my cheap Quaker state oil filter.

Get a FRAM ULTRA, You wont regreat it... very good oil filter and no way can you beat the price.

stay away from the FRAM HIGH MILAGE Filter or the FRAM EXTRA GUARD.. THE FRAM TOUGH GAURD Is Okay but for $1.75 more you wayyyy better off gettin getting the FRAM ULTRA or some places they call it FRAM SYNTHETIC

And it can be used with any oil..

I have cut open many oil filters and when I cut open the FRAM ULTRA i was very impressed.

3 layers and steel mesh.... just a great filter and awesome flow....

Its very respected oil filter here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back