CAT ELC coolant in 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Would it hurt for me to run my 94 subarban on CAT ELC coolant? I was wondering since i can get some of that for free at where i work at. Do I have to flush all of the coolant to be safe? How would I go about flushing the rear heater on it?

Nothing wrong with a diesel coolant in a gasser. Don't put a gas coolant in a Diesel as the liners will get cavitated. I don't think the cat coolant will eat your intake manifold gaskets any faster than any other long life coolant. Lol

I have run Cat ELC in my bronco and personal pick-ups for many years with zero issues. Completely flush your system out and start from fresh with ELC.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Some horrible advice here in this thread -- YES, CAT ELC is perfectly acceptable for usage in your 350. YES, flush everything out before making the switch: http://parts.cat.com/parts/machine-fluid...r---quick-flush (the standard cleaner is 30 days/10,000 miles, whereas this gives you a much quicker option).

Diesel Coolant does not have silicates like regular coolant does....

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Some horrible advice here in this thread -- YES, CAT ELC is perfectly acceptable for usage in your 350. YES, flush everything out before making the switch: http://parts.cat.com/parts/machine-fluid...r---quick-flush (the standard cleaner is 30 days/10,000 miles, whereas this gives you a much quicker option).

Most coolants don't use silicates. Dex don't,toyota and Honda don't. Only Conventional green and

Diesel Coolant does not have silicates like regular coolant does.... [/quote]Most coolants don't use silicates. Dex don't,toyota and Honda don't. Only Conventional green and [/quote]

I am surprised that the industry (coolant manufacture's) would not just make a one size fits all...diesel and gas...coolant for the mass population? My personal belief is this would be the case if it was applicable!

I am surprised that the industry (coolant manufacture's) would not just make a one size fits all...diesel and gas...coolant for the mass population? My personal belief is this would be the case if it was applicable!

They do...ELC is considered a "mixed fleet" coolant, perfectly acceptable for diesel, gas, and natural gas engines -- this allows the end user to inventory one product.

Originally Posted By: csx7006
can i add SCA's?

Hi CSX, didn't see your post -- No SCA's are required with CAT ELC.

A one size fits all is conventional green-use SCAs in a diesel, not in a gas motor. Although many Fords & Dodge diesels used G-05/Premium Gold, and I have retrofitted 2 older diesels to G-05 with no issues (the 300D & GMC 6.2 in my sig). The ELC will work in a gas 350, but a thorough flush is needed, and it would cost more than the alternatives.

They do...ELC is considered a "mixed fleet" coolant, perfectly acceptable for diesel, gas, and natural gas engines -- this allows the end user to inventory one product.

And there you have it...I learned something, and you got the truth....free antifreeze here ya come! Hey...nothings free...what's the catch?

can i add SCA's?

Hi CSX, didn't see your post -- No SCA's are required with CAT ELC.

In 2006, I bought two gallons of, orangeish/redish, Cat ELC at BigLot's, CHEEEEEEEEP!($2.50/gal). I wanted it for my '80 Firebird FORMULA V8(301cid/4.9L). Cast Iron Block/Brass Radiator

I did call CAT's 1-800# before actually installing the coolant in my car. They gave me their blessing to go ahead and use it. After doing a complete flush, this ELC has been in there since '06. I will flush in the summer of '14 and put in a similar coolant
smile.gif

Last edited:
On my early 99 Ford diesel ELC is not compatible with some seals in the motor. I don't know if a 94 chevy has similar seals but I would check with CAT to make sure.

I called Peak a while back and their guy told me the only difference between the red and green is the color. Apparently the silicates are removed from their product as a universal coolant that mixes with any color.

I had the shop that did my Tahoe engine fill it up with Dex because that is what is recommended by GM.

Not entirely true, some do, some don't. CAT DEAC coolant has silicates.

can i add SCA's?

Yes, but generally not needed. CAT ELC contains 'Carboxylic Acid' as its main inhibitor, it also contains 600ppm Nitrite, so its technically a NOAT coolant. CAT has whats called 'ELC Extender' which is to be added for an on road truck at 3 years/3,000hr/ 300,000 miles, roughly half life of the coolant. Conventional coolant SCA has shown to have negative effect on ELC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back