Mistake Not Going to OEM Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: soszek
Update from the original poster. I did some research on 2-EHA and I was not pleased with what I found. I have decided to flush the Prestone AMAM and I have bought jugs of the Honda Type 2 from the dealership. Lesson learned but this extra cost is worth the peace of mind as well as avoiding possible future trouble.

Thanks to all !

Why did you want to change it to begin with? Its a 10 year 120K mile long life coolant. I wouldn't even consider it, but I guess thats spilled milk.

If you are going to flush it out then you are going to need more than two gallons of Type 2. It's a premix so it's an expensive proposition to flush the system.

I did it on my Accord because the previous owner used some random green coolant. I used distilled water first, followed by a couple drain and fills of the Type 2.

Originally Posted By: soszek
Update from the original poster. I did some research on 2-EHA and I was not pleased with what I found. I have decided to flush the Prestone AMAM and I have bought jugs of the Honda Type 2 from the dealership. Lesson learned but this extra cost is worth the peace of mind as well as avoiding possible future trouble.

Thanks to all !

I don't know what the effects of Prestone Coolant would be on you Honda, never used it myself, but you can never, ever go wrong with Honda Coolant (That goes double for the Transmission Fluid!)
12.gif

I use probably overpriced "Honda Genuine Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2" in 1999 Honda Accord and only top off plus perform a drain and fill every 5 years. No problems in 14 years. It's my understanding that Honda thinks silicates cause damage to the seals in their water pumps. European manufacturers specify no phosphates while the Asian manufacturers want it. Prestone All Makes All Models leaves out both the silicates and the phosphates like Dexcool does. I'd probably go back to Honda fluid, but not sure if you have to do anything more than a single drain and fill.

almost all Japanese cars since 2000 have been, in one way or another, moved to using silicate-free (with phosphates) new long life coolant formula. Some colour it blue, others colour it pink. Regardless of colour, they are the perfect match to your automobile.

Because they are long-life, factory typically calls for factory fill not to be touched (but mainly top ups with OE coolant) within the 1st 10 yrs, then coolant change with OE (factory preferred) every 3~5yrs time.

There's absolutely no need to practice that drain-n-fill every 2~3yrs like what you used to do back in the silicate-green days (formula different).

Also: the reason why Japanese car manufacturers use phosphate laden coolant is because phosphate is proven to reduce/eliminate cavitatopm-related erosion inside alloy or iron-block engine coolant passageways and/or waterpump cavities.

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back