97' Toyota Previa Transmission Flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a great 97' Previa LE SC van which is going to need a transmission fluid change out shortly. The Toyota dealer says they don't drop the pan and thus do not change out the filter, which by the way they say it's only a "mesh filter?" They use power flush machine. A local independent shop says there is a filter in there and will drop the pan and change out the filter . I need to know IF there is a replaceable filter in there, which method is preferred? Also, will special only Toyota fluid be the best. (If it is. I'll go and buy from dealer what's needed.) Thanks for any and all replies. Bill

The A340E does have a proper filter in the pan - Wix p/n 58805 according to RockAuto.

I would take it to the independent mechanic and refill with Maxlife ATF and Lubegard red.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
I have a great 97' Previa LE SC van which is going to need a transmission fluid change out shortly. The Toyota dealer says they don't drop the pan and thus do not change out the filter, which by the way they say it's only a "mesh filter?" They use power flush machine. A local independent shop says there is a filter in there and will drop the pan and change out the filter . I need to know IF there is a replaceable filter in there, which method is preferred? Also, will special only Toyota fluid be the best. (If it is. I'll go and buy from dealer what's needed.) Thanks for any and all replies. Bill

The filter is better known as a strainer. You can leave it in or change it. I've replaced it twice in my 98 Sienna. I use Valvoline max life in mine. It's best to drop the pan and get the gunk out of the bottom of it while you're at it. I've also installed a magnefine in line tranny filter in my Sienna. I've never flushed mine, just done drain and refill or drain, pan clean with new strainer and refill.

Regards, JC.

Take it to the indy shop. Its always good to drop the pan, wipe it out and even if a mesh filter to wipe it clean. The dealer just wants an easy flush with his machine.

As for ATF, does yours take Type IV? I would make sure the indy shop uses a ATF that covers Type IV or whatever ATF is called for by your vehicle. Will the indy shop then continue with a flush? The ATF in the TC needs to be exchanged. A single drain and fill will not do that.

You could have the indy shop do the first drain and fill and you can do the next 2 or 3. Easy since I think your vehicle has a drain plug.

I recently dropped the pan on my day's 92 Previa for the first time after 135k. There was a very minimal amount of sludge on the magnets. I would not bother with dropping the pan.

The transmission takes Dexron. No additives are required. I used Maxlife ATF for the flush but I still prefer the shift feel of a plain Dexron fluid and not a multi-vehicle type fluid.

The unit takes 6 qt and pulling the pan will get you 2.5. Be SUPER careful with that drain plug on the pan as the threads are super weak. The torque spec is 14 ft lbs and it is EASILY damaged. The only fix is to buy a new plan for $120....don't ask me how I know this.

I would not perform a flush on a transmission that old. Chances are it may stop working.

If the filter is simply a wire screen, then a drain and refill will be ok. Does the 97 Previa have a drain plug on the automatic transmission? If yes, then pull the plug and let the ATF drain.

From what I've read, Toyotas prefer Toyota fluid. Valvoline says MaxLife meets Toyota specs.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
The A340E does have a proper filter in the pan - Wix p/n 58805 according to RockAuto.

I would take it to the independent mechanic and refill with Maxlife ATF and Lubegard red.

+1. I'd do exactly the same, though not necessarily with maxlife (I might consider dex VI though). Ours shifted perfectly @>250k with no work when Sandy destroyed it...

i'd be curious if that's the venerable AW4 up under there. those are very long-lived units if they receive reasonable care.

I had an AW4 in a jeep GC ('93). it was a dex III unit--- when I had it I did a cpl drain-fills with dex VI. Ran very nicely with it.

If you're remotely handy with tools and don't mind some on your back time, you can do a DIY flush on the trans by disconnecting the line that pushes fluid to the cooler and using the trans's own pump to pump the old fluid into a waste jug. Do 2 quarts at a time and shut the engine off. Pour 2 quarts into the tube up top. Repeat. When the fluid coming out is the same color as the new fluid, you're done. Total cost? 10 quarts of fluid and a piece of vinyl tubing.
I've done this on my T100 every 50k and the trans is going strong at 452k Miles.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty handy but it's something I don't want to do @ this time. I think I'll take to the indy garage and have them pull the pan (clean) and put in a new filter. Either a drain and fill or I'll mention "Chestand" method. I don't believe I want the power flush method by dealer. I really appreciate all your replies. Hope to keep this running for a long time. Heck it's only got 120K!

The only reason to drop the pan is to clean the stuff that clings to it. The filter sold by Toyota and aftermarket companies is basically a rock trap, so replacing it wouldn't do anything unless something catastrophic happened in your transmission.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty handy but it's something I don't want to do @ this time. I think I'll take to the indy garage and have them pull the pan (clean) and put in a new filter. Either a drain and fill or I'll mention "Chestand" method. I don't believe I want the power flush method by dealer. I really appreciate all your replies. Hope to keep this running for a long time. Heck it's only got 120K!

There is really no such thing as a "power flush". Any flush, one by the dealer or one by you using some clear vinyl tubing is using the pump in the transmission to push the fluid through the transmission. The flush machine allows the dealer to charge more and do something else for 20 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back