Valvoline, and Dexos spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have information as to whether Valvoline plans to acquire the Dexos approval, or what? Currently, on their bottles I think it states "exceeds Dexos spec.", or something of that nature.

This was a hot topic two years ago. The cost of the Dexos license is absurd, I applaud Ashland for not paying it and hope they have no plans to (and I've seen nothing to indicate they would).

Valvoline had an bulletin about their thoughts on the dexos thing. It was essentially a big middle finger to the whole dexos license system. It was on their site a month ago and now it is gone. You get a 404 when you do a google search for it.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Valvoline had an bulletin about their thoughts on the dexos thing. It was essentially a big middle finger to the whole dexos license system. It was on their site a month ago and now it is gone. You get a 404 when you do a google search for it.

Its too bad, there's a hot deal on synpower at walmart, bt im not sure its dexos1 approved :S

If you search for "valvoline dexos" the first link that comes up is some FAQ from Valvoline. I get a 404 message, but if you try the link with the Cached option, you can get to the page (at least I can). This is the link I get:

Valvoline Dexos

I thought I remembered seeing something with stronger wording from Valvoline that basically said we meet the specs but we're not paying GM the licensing fee, but I can't find that.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06

Its too bad, there's a hot deal on synpower at walmart, bt im not sure its dexos1 approved :S

Valvoline says Synpower meets the dexos1 specs in 5w20 and 5w30 (like your Cruze takes).

Edit:
Here is the data sheet from Valvoline's website:
Synpower

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
This was a hot topic two years ago. The cost of the Dexos license is absurd, I applaud Ashland for not paying it and hope they have no plans to (and I've seen nothing to indicate they would).

+1

Basically GM is trying to strong-arm the industry into paying a royalty on every gallon of oil that goes into a GM car. Desperate attempt to recapture some of the aftermarket oil profits after ACDelco lost all that market share (that time they gave the middle finger to their distributors)

I understand where people are coming from, but Mobil 1 is on the dexos1 approved list and is less expensive than Valvoline Synthetic.

Here at my local Walmart Mobil 1 5W30 5 quart jug is $23 while Valvoline SynPower 5W30 5 quart jug is $27.

So if Valvoline is "saving" so much money by not paying GM this ridiculous licensing fee, they certainly are not passing the savings on to their customers.

Originally Posted By: stchman
I understand where people are coming from, but Mobil 1 is on the dexos1 approved list and is less expensive than Valvoline Synthetic.

Here at my local Walmart Mobil 1 5W30 5 quart jug is $23 while Valvoline SynPower 5W30 5 quart jug is $27.

So if Valvoline is "saving" so much money by not paying GM this ridiculous licensing fee, they certainly are not passing the savings on to their customers.

My walmart has Valvoline SynPower for $22 for 5qt.

^Same here, plus coupons.com coupon for $5 off Valvoline 5 qts.

Versus M1 @ $24.97 here.

My local Walmarts have M1 5W30 for $25 while Valvoline SynPower 5W30 is $23.

Originally Posted By: cooper_m22

At the Walmart by me SynPower is a few dollars higher. The few dollars to me is pretty meaningless when it comes to a vehicle I spent thousands on.

I'm sure SynPower is probably as good as M1, but since M1 is less expensive(for me) and it's on the approved list, it's a no-brainer.

Why are people so stubborn about oil? It's almost a religious thing. I had one guy tell me "If I can't use Amsoil, then I won't ever drive a car again". I call [censored], but really.

Originally Posted By: thomasew
Does anyone have information as to whether Valvoline plans to acquire the Dexos approval, or what? Currently, on their bottles I think it states "exceeds Dexos spec.", or something of that nature.

That little green logo doesn't mean anything, all that matters is that the oil meets the required specs.

I think that the cost of the license is why you see so many oil brands have a specific dexos labeled oil. They are cutting the cost by not selling dexos oil to people who don't need it. The nice thing about it is though is that the dexos stuff isn't as high of volume so it can be found cheaper.

What I would really like to know is what the dexos spec requires and where the oils claiming to exceed the spec relate to the standard. I have seen the spider chart but that is about as clear as mud to me.

Originally Posted By: cooper_m22

At the Walmart by me SynPower is a few dollars higher. The few dollars to me is pretty meaningless when it comes to a vehicle I spent thousands on.

I'm sure SynPower is probably as good as M1, but since M1 is less expensive(for me) and it's on the approved list, it's a no-brainer.

No doubt they are both quality oils and both meet the Dexos spec - use whichever you or your pocketbook prefers.

I disagree Texican, that little green logo does mean something. It means that GM, along with PQIA are keeping their eyes on oil quality. The dexos spec is more stringent than the GF-5 and API-SN specs which means the consumer is getting a higher quality product.

Valvoline can say they meet any spec they want, but until they actually prove they meet it, its just words on the bottle. The whole licensing fee thing has been blown way out of proportion. The cost to the consumer is really a few cents per doller at most, and thats if the oil co. decides to pass it on to you.

Look at pennzoil and castrol, they are both offering OFFICIAL DEXOS porducts for well under $20 for 5 qts.

You are correct thereed about pqia keeping their eyes on oil quality. According to pqia, syn power scored slightly better on the physical test than mobil super syn which is on the dexos list. So I stand by my statement that the little green logo does not mean a thing, its all about the specs.

Last edited:
Now that Valvoline will be sponsoring Chevy race cars for Hendrick in NASCAR, it's likely they'll fall in line and get the Dexos license. Hendrick claims Valvoline products will be used in all 87 of his dealerships.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Now that Valvoline will be sponsoring Chevy race cars for Hendrick in NASCAR, it's likely they'll fall in line and get the Dexos license. Hendrick claims Valvoline products will be used in all 87 of his dealerships.

Those "Chevy" NASCAR cars are about as Chevy as a Ford Fiesta is. Just the shape.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back