Which oversize filter for corolla?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great forum!.

I am asking for help. I have a 2003 corolla and want to use a larger oil filter. There is enough room for one. I have three questions.

1. Purolator's L22821 will fit, but, their catalog say's the bypass pressure is 15-18 psid. Will this work for the corolla.

2. Is there a possibility of a lager filter causing damage to the engine. For example, will the pressure at the oil pump change from the Toyota spec's. I know more oil will be needed to fill to the proper level.

3. Could someone who knows of a good oversized filter for corollas- one that fits and has the proper spec's, tell me.

4. Do the rubber gaskets have to be exactly the same size?.

My local dealer couldn't tell me the original bypass pressure of its filter, and the 1-800 service didn't know either. Hope I'm not asking too many questions for one post.
Thanks.

Baldwin's on-line catalog has the most info I've found in an on-line source. They show their B33 filter with a 14 psid bypass, an antidrainback valve, and a 3/4-16 thread. If you can look into any maker's big filter catalog at an auto parts store you can match this bypass, antidrainback, & thread, and then take a look at the gasket.
http://www.baldwinfilters.com/catalog.html

Ken

I didn't realize there was as much difference in the by pass pressures of the different filters. I went to the largest type filter with the anti drainback valve (PH8A, FLA1, 1515, etc) that would fit in my Toyota. However looking at the Baldwin info it shows these filters to have a 8 psi by pass and the "correct" filter application is rated at 20 psi.

Can anyone help explain what this difference makes or means in real world use?

I guess the larger filters at 8 psi would mean that the cars engine maybe pushing the oil so hard that it isn't even going thru the filter. But I cannot imagine that other car engines using the same filter would not have a similar concern. Why such large PSI differences/
pat.gif

I wish I knew more about oil filter ingredients
tongue.gif

There is more in selecting a filter than just the fit, the bypass pressure, and the presence or absence of the antidrainback valve. I've had conversations with the tech folks at Baldwin about one particular filter, and they need to get specs from the car maker before they specify which of their filters to assign to that engine...and they have hundreds and hundreds of different oil filter.

There can be differences in the filtration of the media. There can be differences in the required flow rate through the media. There can be differences in the location of the internal bypass valve (mainly a Ford thing). What else can be different? I do wish I new. When I look at the big filter catalog from any of the major filter makers, Baldwin, Wix, etc., I find filters that appear to be identical--same size, same gasket, same bypass pressure, but why do they have all these different filter models? They have a good reason.

For everything stated above, including all the things I don't know about filters, I advise against selecting a filter by crossreferencing a crossreference. When selecting a filter, I prefer to always start from the engine specification. If I was looking for a filter for, say, an '86 Ford F150 302, I'd look at the Wix reference, or the Purolator reference, or whatever. I wouldn't look at the Fram reference, cross that to the Wix reference and cross that to the Purolator. It might come up the same, and often it does not.

I don't especially like bigger filters. I don't know the reason except some folks think that they're doing a prudent thing, but do they really think that their standard sized filter is clogging? Anyway, the problem with bigger filters is that there might be something important in the filter design of the standard filter that gets missed with the eyeball choice of a big filter.

Ken

[ December 05, 2002, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back