Quaker State filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a bunch on sale, I forget where, for about $2.50 each. The box says "Safe-T-Screen" and it appears that the filtering media is both cellulose and synthetic micro filters. Box advises filter change every other oil change. Any idea who actually makes them??

Last I knew Fram made them. Just look, count the #, size, & shape of inlet holes, plus look down the center. Then give a Purolator & Fram for your car the same look. Ditto a Champion(say, WM SuperTech). Whatever matches, that company made your QS filter.

The fact is, QS probably buys them from the lowest bidder. Best bet is to compare & find out for yourself.

Quaker State filters are made by Purolator. Pennzoil filters are made by FRAM.

Four years ago it was reversed. FYI, 6 years ago, Pennzoil owned Purolator filters. Then we sold them. Dumbest thing we ever did. Should have kept them.

Purolator used to make them, then Fram. So it's possible you could find old Purolator made stuff, but I'd look for the cardboard endcaps first. If you see those, chuck these filters! Or use em as doorstops.
gr_stretch.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Patman: Purolator makes them now.

Sorry for the confusion Johnny, I had thought it was the other way around, and at that early hour that I posted I must have missed your previous post.
pat.gif

That's good to know, as Canadian Tire sells the QS filters and I had been warning people to stay away from them. Hopefully all the stock they have in there now is the Purolator made stuff. I'll have to check it out this weekend when I go there. Those cardboard endcaps are usually pretty easy to spot when you peek into the top of the filter.

[ July 19, 2002, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

A couple more questions Johnny.

Are they built to identical specs to the regular Purolator Premium Plus? And what is the part number of the QS filter that cross references to the AC Delco PF35?

[ July 19, 2002, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Yea, I was in a local Menards last weekend and saw QS filters on the shelf. I looked one over and It appeared to be a purolator with the top plate that they put on the Motorcraft filters. If it is a rebadged Motorcraft then its good to go. I would have picked up a couple but could not find a index for them anywhere. At least Supertech has it on the box. RW

I emailed Purolator this morning to find out as many detailed specs on their Premium Plus filters as I can. I like the sound of the fact that they say it's a 10-20 micron filter "under normal driving conditions" This tells me it just might be more efficient than my AC Delco filters I run now.

To my knowledge the QS filters are the same as the Premium Plus filters except the case it slightly different. ie. it's green.

The Motorcraft filters have the PureOne filtering media in a premium plus case. Good value for $3. I currently run Motorcraft filters on my cars.

[ July 19, 2002, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Brad ]

Those Motorcraft filters are expensive up here! The last time I changed the oil in my mom's car (a 94 Probe GT) I asked my dad to go pick up a Ford filter first. He told me it cost him $15!!

Few days ago when I went to CT the QS filters looked identical to the Fram(Motomaster filters). We're always late to receive the new stuff that is coming from the States.

You are absolutely right! I just got back from CT and the Quaker State filters up here are without a doubt Fram filters. You can clearly see the black cardboard endcaps, plus the stampings are the same as the Frams. If that isn't enough evidence, even the part numbers are the same! Only the Quaker State part # starts with QS instead of PH.

What I don't understand is how Fram can claim these filters are good for a 96% SPE and 94% MPE! I bet that MPE turns to 0% after 1000 miles. I wish there was another true independant study on oil filters out there, one that doesn't just cut them apart but one that finds out how efficient they really are, not only when new, but at 3k, 5k and even 10k on the same filter.

Either that's old stock or there is something going on with QS filters in Canada that I don't know about. Purolator makes them for the U.S. market.

Now, I am no filter expert, but I will tell you what FRAM told me about the cardboard end caps. "Quote" "The end cap material does not make any difference. All it does is hold the media together. It's the filtering ability of the media that is important."

I use the following filters on my cars.

1. Company car. Pennzoil filter made by FRAM.
2. VW Eurovan. VW filter.
3. Nissan Sentra. Nissan filter.

This way I have made my company, VW, and Nissan happy. They all seem to work fine.

No I have not cut them apart, and I'm not going to. I have better things to do. GONE FISHIN.
grin.gif

Of course Fram is going to say that the cardboard endcaps are good enough, but if that were really true, don't you think other filter makers would use it too? No, I don't think so, because I think they all know it's inferior stuff. I've heard enough stories of bad Fram filters to make my head spin, and numerous stories of cold start noises when using Fram. My mom's 94 Probe GT used to emit a puff of blue smoke whenever using a Fram filter, and it was solved when I switched to a Ford filter. (I didn't change to a different oil, it was still with Mobil 1 10w30)

On the FRAM, the carboard end caps may onlyhold it together, but they do colapse. Also, on the one I cut open the carboard is not quite centered, so the metal/rubber valve piece does not seal agaist the cardboard, but part of the corrugated sleeve.
The other thing we are probably running into here is the same as in oils: Companies have different standards in different countries. although a Brazillian Fram is as bad as an American one. I've seen major oil brands that have the same name on products in different countries, one country's being SJ/CH-4, and he other SH/CF-4. Another brand had SH/CG-4 in one country, CF-4 in another, and SF/CD in another. All with the same name.

Quaker State and other companies that markets in other countries will have different manufacturers. Fram is king in Canada so I am not surprised that Quaker State chose Fram to be their manufacturer. Low price to manufacture and the public won't know(except us on this site) that the Q-state is a Fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back