Headlight protection film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just cleaned headlights with lens cleaner and protectant from meguiar. I usuwlyly have to do this twice a year due to all the highway driving.

searched on the internet and found they make 3M like clear film for headlights. Has anybody tried these? Will these film last if applied on HID headlights?

I use it on all my vehicles from new. Also get extra pieces for fog lights/driving lights if not included as part of kit. No issue with HID (HID runs cooler than halogen on outside of lens). '07 Sonata checking in at 105k, crystal clear. '03 Sequoia 98k, crystal clear EXCEPT small line (horizontal) at top by hood where light meets and no film is on it. It has that UV cloudiness.

The vinyl is thick and keeps the rocks from chipping off factory UV coat. I started using it after rocks shattered some glass headlights that I bought in Europe for my Corolla (H4 vs 9005/9006).

Front of both my cars are BEAT by rocks sand but headlights and foglights are perfect.

You will need to clean off the protectant so that it sticks. Alcohol and water lets it slide a little if needed when you squeegee. Do NOT touch the sticky side when handling. The fingerprints will not go away on film. Google X-pel, headlight armor, clear mask, most films are from 3M anyway I think so just matter of price and kit completeness.

Don't hesitate, DO IT!

X-Pel...the best invention since sliced bread!! I've had a set on my car since new, for about 5 years, with not a scratch, chip, or one bit of UV cloudiness on either headlight. Best money I've spent since even aftermarket replacement headlights are well over $200+ a pair. Worse yet, the headlamps are a real PITA to R&R since the entire front bumper cover has to be removed to even replace a light bulb!

I was actually going to ask a similar question myself. the lenses on my neon were badly UV damaged, bought the mother's kit, not satisfied with results. ordered a set of replacement lamp assembly's, wanting to protect them from the get-go.
looking @ the companies listed above, for my car
X-Pel kit is ~$70(comes with fog light covers, my car didn't come with fog lights)
Headlight armor~$40(several color options, only one i would consider aside from clear would be GT Yellow, no mention of who makes the films)
Clearmask - $17.95 for the 8mil 3m Light Guard film, or $28.90 for the 14 mil 3m Aerospace derived film.

I nailed a deer with a headlight protected with Lamin-X film. The headlight mounting tabs were all broken, but the lens itself was intact.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Are the films pre-cut or do you trim them yourself?

if you were asking me... yes, the "kits" i was looking at for my neon were all precut to the lens dimensions, each coming with various degrees of installation instructions/ "tools"

Originally Posted By: Donald
So its similar to putting on a screen protector on your phone?

Same concept, although the film is very thick.

It also saves the headlights from getting sandblasted.

We bought the 3m film pre cut and put it on our vw. It has been great so far, no sign of discoloration, and no damage to lenses. Getting it exactly right was quite difficult, and required a heat gun, soap and alcohol solution, etc

Not sure if/when the film gets bad, if it can be removed and replaced.

So far, very good reviews on these.

If I already have cloudiness on my headlights due to UV/sandblasting and I cleaned it up.
It will not return under this layer of film, would it?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Keep in mind that the film (even new) reduces light transmission. In other words, you lose light through them.

Really? Even if I get the clear ones?
How much we're talking about? 3%? 5%? 10%? 20%?

Originally Posted By: wing0
Really? Even if I get the clear ones?
How much we're talking about? 3%? 5%? 10%? 20%?

It won't be by much. But there will be a reduction.

The guys at candlepowerforums.com are the real experts. They'll be able to tell you everything you need to know about them. Note: they are not recommended by some of the lighting engineers in that forum, because of the way they can refract and absorb some of the light from your headlamps.

Whatever the minor percentage of reduced output IMO would be far offset by sandblasting and UV damage. Probably need instruments to really get that info. Not enough where you would notice. Some people/engineers/experts etc don't recommend oil additives, fuel system cleaners, extended drains past 3k, walking outside without sunscreen, driving over 55mph on highway, wearing boxers instead of briefs, eating red meat, sleeping with the neighbor, etc.

If it had UV damage not sure if the film will keep it from happening again. You could get some Clear paint (U-pol 100) from autobody supply that will add a UV coat.

Get bulk film and cut it yourself. Make a paper template so its easy to bend to shape.

Your headlamps were designed to dissipate a certain amount of heat, when you put another layer, the heat retention will increase. It may not be much but enough to cause seals to become weaker over time, maybe the bulb will heat up the reflective finish too much and cause it to become dull and result in poor performance.

No car I have ever had has had UV damaged headlamps. I always park away from the sun or under something to keep the interior cool..side benefit the headlamps see less direct sunlight.

It's hard to do that when you park your car all day during work...unless I get some blinds for them...
I can imagine the weird looks I'd get...

One of my coworkers insists that using automated car washes causes headlight lenses to cloud much faster. I am inclined to believe it because most cloudy lenses I have seen appear to have had some type of coating damaged by the harsh action of gas station car washes.

Take this at face value. I know some people are neither inclined, nor able, to wash their cars by hand.

I usually hand wash my car, however the car is hwy driven daily for over 100km.

It'd be nice to know what's the coating and if there's a way to reapply it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back