How much VSOT do I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did an oil change I use M1 10W-30, and a Mobil 1 filter. After reading a lot about VSOT on this Forum I decided to give it a try.

No oil leaks or oil burning at all, this truck calls for 10W-30 and has a 6qt sump.

How much VSOT should I use? I live in the North East, although its warm now it can get pretty cold.

I tried the search function, and have read anywhere from 2 ounces per OC, to the entire 15 ounce container, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Frank D

Up to you, really. My application I used the whole bottle in a 6.5-7 qt sump. Didn't seem to effect cold cranking. To me it's a more of a decision on "how much moly?" not worrying about the effect on viscosity.

I put the whole bottle in my 4.5QT sump and it thickened a lot with 0W-30 M-1. It was ok, I took it to Florida this month, but I changed it out when I got back. Things were tapping on cold starts, and it was VERY thick on the dipstick.

I added 1 1/2 oz./QT to my Havoline changeout this week, it seems pretty good. Stuff makes the oil kinda "climb" the cam lobes when the engine's running. Smoooooth. In moderation, pretty good stuff, I'd say. Just heat up the VSOT bottle (I dropped it in a pan of boiling water on the stove), mix it with a half-quart of your regular oil, shake well and pour it in. REALLY thick when cold out of its own bottle!

GFL!

But what do *I* know?
dunno.gif

1 oz./qt. will add about 100ppm moly. You can also add 2 oz./qt of a 0w20 oil to thin the thick additive down to near 40w.

I hold 6 qts of oil. I don't want to change from the 10W-30 to a 5W or 0W oil, and don't really want to thicken it up too much. I was thinking maybe 6oz for the winter, and 12 for the summer would work.

Thanks for the replies,
Frank D

Ok, I aready did my OIC a few days ago and in went 4qts of Pennz Plat and 4 oz of LC20.

I want to add some VSOT but don't want to over do it...was thinking of adding 4oz and see if I notice a difference before I go crazy with the stuff
smile.gif

Do you really need to have the engine running while you add this stuff? I'm not crazy about that idea.

I'm thinking of getting a seperate plastic bottle to measure out 4 ounces and shake it up REAL good before I put it in.

Hey I only paid .67 a piece for the stuff (on clearance at Advance Auto) so figure I'd give it a shot...my 1zzfe seems to be a bit louder with synth in the crankcase that it was with Chevron Dino in there. Looks like older stock but should be ok?? Shelf life of this stuff?

Goose
patriot.gif

Man...I just opened up a bottle of this stuff and is it thick!! Are we sure that I'm gonna put this stuff in and have my engine won't instantly need a shot of Metamucil??
shocked.gif

Also it is very dark....dark, dark brown...normal for the VSOT? Like I said it is older stock, label says 1999..just checking
wink.gif

I'll probably stop somwhere halfway through my commute and attempt to put 4 ounces in by eyeballing it tomorrow and then have it work its way in the last 25 miles of the ride.......

Why do I feel so funny about doing this
confused.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

It is pretty thick. Warm it up a bit by standing it in the vicinity of a heat register. Then check it.

I just checked. It looks very dark in the bottle, but a drop on a white card should look a nice medium golden color, and it has a beautiful aroma too.

I would get the engine fully warmed up and then shut it off, pour VSOT in, then run it a mile or so to mix it in. On an oil change, add to a half bottle of oil and shake well, then pour in.

Ok..it is a bit thinner after shaking it up pretty good(my co workers are looking at me funny as all they can see is from the shoulders up)
shocked.gif

I didn't get a chance to put it in this morning due to a nice ice storm this morning.
rolleyes.gif

Smells like Vasoline to me Paul
dunno.gif

Am I screwing the pooch for a UOA by adding this stuff? Do I even need it with synth? Also how long with this stuff coat my engine...2,3 or more OIC's? Will it alter future oils I put in?

Goose
patriot.gif

wife's Honda CRV loves the VSOT, 1/2 bottle, into 0W20 Mobil 1....DOHC valve train much quieter....smoother running engine....faster on ramp acceleration...no change in mpg...no increase in oil consumtion...no change in starting

just the engine noise decrease is worth the price

what i don't understand is: how can it quieten the engine, which means it's thickening things, AND make acceleration better (which requires thinner oil i thought)??
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back