Let the stop leak contest begin!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
just returned from a general scavanger hunt for transmission stop leak products. Subject will be beloved "Luv Machine" with the leaky 700R4 transmission, (miles unknown).

First to the plate will be "Bar's Leaks" Transmission Stop Leak Concentrate. Bottle states :Restores Gaskets and Seals to Stop Transmission Fluid Leaks. Works with all types of transmission fluid."

Back label says: "Bar's Leaks transmission stop leak concentrate is specially designed to stop seal and gasket leaks caused by normal transmission wear and age. Works with all domestic and import automatic and manual transmission fluids."

One 11 fl oz bottle treats up to 10 quarts. Given the condition of tranny and the number of quarts in tranny, I'm going to add two bottles.

Experiment will begin Monday as it promises to be a day of constant hauling and bottle promises leaks to stop in 200 miles or 3 days of driving.

This gives us the weekend for comments, observations and general well wishes
smile.gif

Best of luck to you but I have never found any of these products to be very effective. At best maybe a short term improvement. I spent $20 on Lucas power steering stop leak about a year ago and it made no difference. I originally thought about claiming on the guarantee but it wasn't worth the effort that most of them realize is difficult to claim on.

Bars Products....king of the mechanic in a can..they just had to branch out from coolant stop leak,to oil/tranny/power steering additives and they bought out Rislone for that very reason.Many of their products are in 2 divided chambers...guess it looks more impressive,like its "catalyzed" when the two mix.Higher prices too.I would be interested to hear the results (if any).Wonder if it ruins the seals over time to make it leak even more.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Bars Products....king of the mechanic in a can..they just had to branch out from coolant stop leak,to oil/tranny/power steering additives and they bought out Rislone for that very reason.Many of their products are in 2 divided chambers...guess it looks more impressive,like its "catalyzed" when the two mix.Higher prices too.I would be interested to hear the results (if any).Wonder if it ruins the seals over time to make it leak even more.

Yes, I did look at a couple of the "Two bottles in one" products. What I noticed is that the leak seal side is separate from the "smooths out shifting" side. I have no problem shifting as mainly I stay in first gear except when I need to reverse, (keep in mind, "Luv Machine" is family farm mule). What I do find interesting is the "smooths out shifting side" is a thicker fluid while the "leak seal" side is the thin fluid.

The product I finally settled on makes no claim for shift improvement anywhere on the bottle, it simply says it will stop leaks.

Does anyone have any idea what's in this stuff? I'll fire off an email and see what they say.

Where is it leaking from? No goop is gonna replace a bad line. One of my 528es had a leaky heater core. A half bottle of Bars Leak every 6 months kept the leak manageable. On another car, I flushed the cooling sys because it was brown and oily looking. When I re-filled the system, I found at least 2 dozen pinholes in the core. I had a good radiator , so I didn't use any more Bars Leak. At one time, it was factory fill in GM cars.

I put that stuff in a 4T60 in a cutlass ciera I gave my BIL. It didn't make internal pressure to hold the clutches and was in bad shape when I got it (for $400). I figured the internal o-rings were leaking down too fast and it needed thicker fluid.

It poured like cherry grenadine. I had the bottle on my garage floor, mid winter, cap off. I kicked it over accidentally and picked it up before any spilled.
lol.gif

I also put an adjustable modulator on it ($10!!!) and cranked up the line pressure. If your love machine has the option, go get one. If you're too cheap for $10, pull the vacuum line and put a golf tee in it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I put that stuff in a 4T60 in a cutlass ciera I gave my BIL. It didn't make internal pressure to hold the clutches and was in bad shape when I got it (for $400). I figured the internal o-rings were leaking down too fast and it needed thicker fluid.

It poured like cherry grenadine. I had the bottle on my garage floor, mid winter, cap off. I kicked it over accidentally and picked it up before any spilled.
lol.gif

I also put an adjustable modulator on it ($10!!!) and cranked up the line pressure. If your love machine has the option, go get one. If you're too cheap for $10, pull the vacuum line and put a golf tee in it.

"Brown-eyed women and red grenadine/the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back