7.3L powerstroke, Schaeffers 9000 5w-40, high lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sdan27
I like being able to start my Powerstroke in single digits with no romping.

Dino or semi 10w-30 sir. Works wonders for that issue you speak of.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I would ditch the syns and run a few inexpensive OCI dino flushes, and set a base-line. Then once established, one could experiment with the syn alternatives.

The 7.3L PSD oil change is 15qts each time so there is really no inexpensive flushes. Also, the OP is running an OCI that is 2 to 3x the factory recommend OCI so all bets should be off or at the minimum parlay.

Inexpensive is a relative term. Contrasted to synthetics, dino is less cost. Does not matter if it's 5 quarts or 55 gallons. The cost ratio is still the same.

As for the OCIs, this most recent one is only 5k miles, and yet the Cu and Pb are high on a "per mile" basis.

The Pb, while not directly harmfull, it getting high enough for condemnation, even at 5k miles in this last UOA. No number is an absolute in condemnation; they need to be judged in context. Unless we saw stupid-high numbers (which we don't in this case), he could run a bit further, but not much.

He's well versed in UOAs; he can make his own decision.
The Service Pro products have given him excellent UOAs in other equipment; why not try that? And IIRC, he get's it in bulk as well.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

I would ditch the syns and run a few inexpensive OCI dino flushes, and set a base-line. Then once established, one could experiment with the syn alternatives.

The 7.3L PSD oil change is 15qts each time so there is really no inexpensive flushes. Also, the OP is running an OCI that is 2 to 3x the factory recommend OCI so all bets should be off or at the minimum parlay.

Supertech 15w40 wouldn't be too bad. Re-use current oil filter during at least the first flush.

As for the OCIs, this most recent one is only 5k miles, and yet the Cu and Pb are high on a "per mile" basis.

With the OP being a farm boy, you don't really know what that 5K is all about. If he is doing any towing then the factory OCI is 3K for severe services.

Last edited:
I don't really tow that often. Carry some weight sometimes but not overloaded. Probably about 50% expressway which puts me at 2500 rpm with my 4.10 gears. I've done a number of UOAs on this truck with the original engine which was around 450,000 miles when I swapped it out. I've done a number of 10,000 mile drains using 15w-40 dino oil and never had lead as high as it was with the Schaeffers. Looking back at old reports, the highest lead count was 7 ppm after 8000 miles.

I have hundreds of UOAs for that 7.3L engine.

That is an obvious lie. You have anecdotal UOAs of similar engines and not for "that 7.3L engine". FORD has the facts on the 7.3L PSD and you are no where near being close to having the actual performance data of that engine.

I will concede that I should have been more clear in defining what I meant.

I have hundreds of UOAs for that 7.3L engine family.
I was speaking in a manner of macro-analysis, not micro-analysis.

This UOA exhibits Cu and Pb data that is statistically high contrasted to UAs and sigma deviations after abnormalities are excluded.

My apologies.

However, my lack of clarity does not make me a liar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back