Toyota Tundra 75W85 Gear Oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2011 Toyota Tundra calls for 75W85 gear oil for the rear differential. This weight is pretty hard to come by...can I use a good full synthetic 75W90? If so, is Mobil 1 a good choice?

I plan on changing the rear gear oil early because I want to squeeze as many mpg's as possible out of my truck given these high gas prices. I have heard a good quality full syntheic gear oil may help some, as well as offer really good protection long term.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

I also have a 2011 Crewmax. Redline makes a 75W-85 synthetic gear oil. I have chosen to use Amsoil SVG 75W-90 in mine, though, mainly because I have used it in other vehicles with good results. I suspect 90% of people will just use 75W-90.

Originally Posted By: btanchors
I have chosen to use Amsoil SVG 75W-90

^^Go with this one. It`s the only brand of gear oil I`ll ever use.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your feedback. So, it sounds like I can use 75W-90 without concern/issue.

I have heard great things about Amsoil SG. I was also looking at maybe using LubroMoly 75W-90. I can buy it locally (Napa) for $13.50 per quart. Lots of good options out there...

Originally Posted By: btanchors
I also have a 2011 Crewmax. Redline makes a 75W-85 synthetic gear oil. I have chosen to use Amsoil SVG 75W-90 in mine, though, mainly because I have used it in other vehicles with good results. I suspect 90% of people will just use 75W-90.

I thought the RL 75w85 was a transmission fluid???

Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger
My 2011 Toyota Tundra calls for 75W85 gear oil for the rear differential. This weight is pretty hard to come by...can I use a good full synthetic 75W90? If so, is Mobil 1 a good choice?

I plan on changing the rear gear oil early because I want to squeeze as many mpg's as possible out of my truck given these high gas prices. I have heard a good quality full syntheic gear oil may help some, as well as offer really good protection long term.

How's thicker oil going to give you better gas mileage?

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger

How's thicker oil going to give you better gas mileage?

I assumed the 90 weight would shear over time to about 85. I figured the fully synthetic oil might help my mileage. I'm assuming the factory fill is Dino oil.

Last edited:
You are assuming a lot. Go with the Amsoil 75w-90, or the Reline 75W-85 GL5 - whichever you feel better about and can obtain at a reasonable price. Just my opinion, both are high quality synthetics. I haven't changed mine yet.
For the transfer case I am considering Redline MT-90, 75W-90 GL4.

You can get more info on each of their websites.

does the 11 have a mechanical LSD? my 06 needed an extra dose of the LSD additive on top of what's already in the amsoil lube.

I have seen improved mpg in every vehicle with synthetics in the driveline.... except maybe for the tundra. I went to amsoil in the trans and the axle and there may have been a .5 mpg improvement, maybe. during warm weather with no a/c I can just touch 18mpg in an easy, 45mph commute that's a good mix between hwy and city, so some stops, some stretches, 15 miles.

M

You are really assuming a lot. It is likely the rear diff is factory filled with 75W85 and very likely to be synthetic to begin with. 75W85 in a diff will give slightly better mileage at the cost of high temperature wear protection.
Synthetic oil is a good choice in a diff, but why do you think synthetic gives better mileage than a mineral oil of identical viscosity? The mileage advantage is usually from synthetics of equal high temp viscosity having lower viscosity at low temps.

Charlie

Don't know about the Tundra but I was shocked at how metallic dusted the diff oil in my FJ Cruiser looked at 5,000 miles. Very glad I changed it. I used Mobil 1 75w-90 as it was all that was readily available. I briefly contemplated filtering out all the metallic/particulate stuff in the original oil and putting it back in...but didn't have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back