How to remove oil filter without oil spilling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

This applies to oil filters mounted more or less vertically onto the engine block.

How do I remove the oil filter from the engine block without oil spilling at all? I have tried several methods such as:

1. Remove drain plug and wait ½ day for all oil to entirely escape the filter. Still, plenty of oil is left and runs down the engine block as soon as I start unscrewing the filter.

2. Punch a hole in the oil filter close to the top of the filter trying to depressurerize the filter. This method also does not solve the problem.

Anyone with suggestions on how to remove oil filter without having a total mess?

Thanks,

Lucas

pay someone else to do it

I always get a coating of oil down the engine block and sometimes my arm depending on the vehicle. Annoying for sure.

Some people will chime in with ideas, like a cut in half milk jug or something that places under the filter and hopefully catches the oil.

My 2002 Ford Ranger has an oil filter mounted at 45 degrees.

When I begin to loosen it, oil pours out.

What Ford did was attach a FUNNEL just below the filter.

The oil will go thru the funnel and into a container I have on the floor.

Works real good and I always liked that idea.

None of those work on my MB 300E, which has the filter mounted threads down on the top of the block...There's no room to punch holes, wrap baggies or place funnels, I just suffer the leak and have a drain pan under it...

Loosen filter a turn or two but before oil starts to come out. Cut 2 liter bottle in half and take one half and surround oil filter hopefully getting the plastic above the mount. Turn the rest of the way off by hand and hopefully catch any additional oil that spills out when filter falls into half plastic bottle.

Your oil is stuck in the filter due to the anti-drain back valve. I had a similar situation with a motorcycle. I would use a small drill to drill a hole near the base of the filter and catch the oil in a cup. If you drill another hole in the top of the filter it will drain faster.

Originally Posted By: chevys10
Loosen filter a turn or two but before oil starts to come out. Cut 2 liter bottle in half and take one half and surround oil filter hopefully getting the plastic above the mount. Turn the rest of the way off by hand and hopefully catch any additional oil that spills out when filter falls into half plastic bottle.

I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about a filter that has the threads at the bottom, not at the top, so I'm not sure how your solution would work for him.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about a filter that has the threads at the bottom, not at the top, so I'm not sure how your solution would work for him.

Then none of the solutions will work will they? If he unscrews the filter then the oil trapped inside immediately drains out. If he drills teh holes it leaks onto the block, not on the floor.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

Toyota 4Runner 4.0L V6 has the same set up. Easy.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
None of those work on my MB 300E, which has the filter mounted threads down on the top of the block...There's no room to punch holes, wrap baggies or place funnels, I just suffer the leak and have a drain pan under it...

Drill a 1/4" hole in the top with a cordless drill. Insert tube from fluid extractor all the way down. Suck out 90% of the oil.

Originally Posted By: Doog

thumbsup2.gif

I actually bought an angle adapter for my Ranger sold by Ford to switch the 45 to a vertical mount..seemed easier.

Last edited:

Drill a 1/4" hole in the top with a cordless drill. Insert tube from fluid extractor all the way down. Suck out 90% of the oil.

Wouldn't the flakes of metal from the drill possibly go down center tube and into engine? Unless you drilled on the side...

thumbsup2.gif

I actually bought an angle adapter for my Ranger sold by Ford to switch the 45 to a vertical mount..seemed easier.

The 4 Runner has the funnel built into the casting that the filter screws onto with a drain nipple and rubber cap over it. You just remove the rubber cap and put a cup under and drain away. When done put the rubber cap back on. Some guys put a rubber drain hose on the nipple with a clamp and then just move their drain pan underneath it. Way easy.

Wouldn't the flakes of metal from the drill possibly go down center tube and into engine? Unless you drilled on the side...

Hmm..possible. Then use an awl or ice pick. You just need to punch a hole for the tube to go in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back