4T65E trans & P1811 code in my wifes Chevy Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes 2000 Chevy Impala has been shifting hard for the last few months and just gave me a P1811 code (max adapt, long shift) which would confirm the PCS solenoid is suspect.

Looking on the internet I found a forum where they have been having some good luck by putting in some SeaFoam TransTune then dropping the pan after a few miles and installing a shift kit like the Transgo, ZZPerformance or other similar kits then refilling with Supertech Dex 6 for a total cost of around $60.

I can deal with a $60 fix/bandaid but the true repair for this would end up being $500 or more. A little more than I want to spend for a 14 year old car with 189,000 miles on it.

Thoughts or opinions anyone?

you can also use Marvel Mystery Oil, according to the website.I've used it in my 95 camry trans,but i didn't have any problems.I used it just to possibly clean when i did a flush.I ran it for at least 1000 miles.

You can buy the parts to make the shift kit for less than 10.00 and drop the pan install and change the fluid it would be good for another 100,000.Search grand prix forum and they will explain in detail.I have the part numbers if you need but they are just shims i would use the metal not plastic.I wouldnt use the sea foam or anything like that after you install the kit and put some miles on to verify I would change the fluid again cause you only get 1/2 on a filter change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
My wifes 2000 Chevy Impala has been shifting hard for the last few months and just gave me a P1811 code (max adapt, long shift) which would confirm the PCS solenoid is suspect.

Looking on the internet I found a forum where they have been having some good luck by putting in some SeaFoam TransTune then dropping the pan after a few miles and installing a shift kit like the Transgo, ZZPerformance or other similar kits then refilling with Supertech Dex 6 for a total cost of around $60.

I can deal with a $60 fix/bandaid but the true repair for this would end up being $500 or more. A little more than I want to spend for a 14 year old car with 189,000 miles on it.

Thoughts or opinions anyone?

Since other causes of this code are worn valve bores or sticking valves, I would start with a rebuilt valve body and preclude the chance of having to do it twice.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Try the shift kit first and see where that gets you. It's easy/cheap, and just might work. If it doesn't, it's time for other options.

If he is going to go cheap, he should at least go with the Superior brand kit that addresses the problem where it starts, with new valves, instead of band-aiding it in a different part of the fluid circuit. The Superior kit isn't that much more expensive than the one with just springs.

Replace the valve body with that many miles unless you plan to trade it off within 2 months. BTW, did you check the ATF level and condition? Low or dirty ATF will cause a P1811 or CEL.

Last edited:
How many miles are on this thing & when was it last tuned? A friend of mine had an Impala (2003 w/ a 3.4L) that had the same code. Turned out the spark plug wire boots had worn out & it was arcing from the plug/wire/boot to the cylinder head causing a loss in power & at times random misfires. A new set of plugs & wires took care of it.

188,000 miles. It's about time for another tune up. So I will do that as well this week. Sure has been a good car for us. No other repairs have been done to it other than a intake manifold job and regular maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Replace the valve body with that many miles unless you plan to trade it off within 2 months. BTW, did you check the ATF level and condition? Low or dirty ATF will cause a P1811 or CEL.

Atf was clean and at the right level. I installed a drain plug to make the fluid & filter changes easier. It's had 4 fluid changes since new.

Originally Posted By: Doog

Atf was clean and at the right level. I installed a drain plug to make the fluid & filter changes easier. It's had 4 fluid changes since new.

Well then I would get a reman valve body and see what happens. Also check the wiring to the trans to make sure you don't have any abrasion on the wiring that might cause a ground short.

I second what DOOG said.

A friend asked me to check their Grand Prix a few years back - they brought it to Valvoline instant oil change who talked them into a trans fluid flush. A few days later it was shifting harsh, and sure enough "max adapt long shift" code came out when I hooked up my handheld... Checked fluid level and it was about 1/2 quart low. (!!!)

Topped off, reset light, never happened again!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info people. With all this great info I'll investigate further and keep you all informed with what I find out.

Well, I did a pan drop and replaced 7 quarts of fluid, filter and cleared the code. I no longer get hard shifting but now the trans slips and shudders between gears.

Looks like a rebuild is in order.
mad.gif

Last edited:
Well, I did a pan drop and replaced 7 quarts of fluid, filter and cleared the code. I no longer get hard shifting but now the trans slips and shudders between gears.

Looks like a rebuild is in order.
mad.gif

If that is the factory trans getting 189k is not too terrible. After 150k any trans can carp the bed pretty much any time. I get nervous after 150k. But you never know how long they will go until you try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back