UNDERCOATING?? Is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, we'll try a different approach.

Quote: Id love to know if FF and lanolin is a preferred approach.

I would say it probably is for many folks out there as they have no Krown or CarWell outlets near them and Fluid Film is available at most any John Deere dealer out there, in other words easily obtained, and it does work, and is available as an aerosol.

Quote: I have no idea if Lanolin is truly in active DoD use

Neither do I, but it was at one time.

I'm sure Krown is a good product and thought at one time of having it done to my vehicles but being as I would need to spend the money for a Passport, not a smart idea for me personally.

So the question them comes back to how close Krown and Rust Check is. Ive personally verified that Carwell (NY state, possibly elsewhere) is the same a Krown. Not sure how different Rust Check, which I believe is in IN, is.

But the efficacy, not the popularity of lanolin, is my question.

I have a piece of sheet steel that I may set up an experiment on... I think I have an unopened container of FF somewhere, and I have all the others that I use on my car...

Well its not the popularity of lanolin, but the availablity.

Mayhap one our Canadian members can give us the answer as to whether Krown and RustCheck are the same, similar, or way different.

The stuff thats similar to a waxy film that Ziebart uses does in time dry out and leave cracks. The heavy undercoating Ziebart uses under the car on the frame etc. is even worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: jcwit

The stuff thats similar to a waxy film that Ziebsrt uses does in time dry out and leave cracks. The heavy undercoating Ziebart uses under the car on the frame etc. is even worse.

Ive read that about waxy coatings. They can crack or even create "bubbles" underneath filled with water.

My curiousity regarding that kind of stuff, like Amsoil HDMP or Eastwood HD Anti-rust, or Waxoyl, may possibly do this... But if coated with say, Krown or Carwell T-40, would it keep soft, resilent, and self healing to a greater extent???

Not having actual experience with puting something over the waxy Ziebart product in making it stay softer and self healing longer but it stands to reason that it would.

Are they somewhat the same product?

My understanding is that Krown is better (keep in mind, I'm a Krown user, so I may be biased, though I've used Rust Check in the past), and that this was part of the disagreement among the management that led to the split, that there was a disagreement as to formula choice with the guys who left and formed Krown wanting to use the "better" (more expensive?) formula. Mind you that's all heresy and I don't know how much of it is actually rooted in fact.

I will say that Krown is a more dense product than Rust Check, though both creep, my assumption is that durability-wise, the Krown T-40 would come out ahead.

^^^^ What Overkill stated.

I know for a fact that Krown works because I have used it for years with amazing results. I have not had an issue with rust for years.

We used to use Rust Check for years and it always worked well to keep the rust off cars. IIRC, Rust check has two formula's, a thinner oil for inside the body panels and a thicker oil for the undercarriage. Krown seems to be a bit better product, though, and we switched in the 90's. It will even stop rust on an older car that is starting to rust. I used it on one of my old winter beaters and it kept the rust at bay.

As for Krown, my father's daily driver until 2007 was a 1976 Malibu, which he oil sprayed religiously, with Krown for most years. That car is now owned by my brother and after very salty winter is still near showroom condition. Anyone who knows these cars, knows they rust out if you look at them the wrong way.

405219478.jpg

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thanks, sounds like a good idea. What compound are you using?

I use Texaco Rustproof Compound L. It used to be lanolin based, but thy've reformulated it. It still does the same job.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thanks, sounds like a good idea. What compound are you using?

I use Texaco Rustproof Compound L. It used to be lanolin based, but thy've reformulated it. It still does the same job.

Thanks the replies!

Thanks for correcting my post JHZR2.

Thanks to all for the added information, wish Krown was available here in the Northern tier of the U.S. Till then I spose I'll stick to Fluid Film, both spray and in bulk.

If nothing else it makes a fantastic case lube for resizing cases for reloading.

Does anyone spray FF not from an aerosol can?

I believe they make a solvent cut version for spraying, but the intended use is different.

I think an airless (?) paint sprayer can be used, but practically I dont know the difference between going that route and going the route of an air compressor and a mini-tank.

What about a schutz gun? They're much less expensive than the $200 Eastwood professional gun. DIYers don't always need professional tools.

What about a schutz gun? They're much less expensive than the $200 Eastwood professional gun. DIYers don't always need professional tools.

Anyone ever use a JC Whitney rust proofing gun?

Something doesn't seem right when I looked it up. Getting an awful lot for only $7.99.

It does seem cheap. I have one for many years, and just discovered it NIB on a shelf. I used a friends gun, not the same as the Whitney gun, bought the JC Whitney gun, put it away and forgot I had it. I'm just wondering if it's any good?

Dern, I hate to admit this, but don't get the spray one from Harbor Freight, I did and it doesn't work. I know, I know, lets not go there.

Something such as this would more than likely work tho. Not cheap but would pay for itself 2nd time.

http://www.eastwood.com/prof-undercoating-gun.html

Did you get an airless paint sprayer or some kind of undercoating gun?

I was looking at airless spray guns and happened upon the HF one which had horrid reviews.

Looks like an airless paint sprayer is $200 or so for something half decent.

I hear you, but isnt a schutz gun going to require a LOT of fairly high pressure air? I only have 4.2CFM at 90 psi.

Fluid Film recommends an airless paint gun. That makes good sense to me, but looks like it would need around $200.

Can no longer find it in the H/F site. So "No Link". What it resembled was a air spray wand with a 4/5 foot clear plastic hose to place in the container of whatever you wished to spray, which the compressed air would of course siphon up and spray, but I couldn't even get it to siphon up water no matter how I adjusted the screw. But it does work well as a air wand. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back