spiral sash balances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd give this a whirl (no pun intended). My house has these cheap no-name, non-tilt windows with spiral rods on the sides for counterbalance to hold up the window. They often fail by making a racket when you open the window and the spiral rod hangs down. I have looked on the internet and don't find the instructions to be helpful.

What I need to know is:

- How do you know if the spiral balance mechanism is broken?
- The grease on them seems sticky. Is that the way they are supposed to be or should I clean and regrease?
-Can I replace them with some better design and how would I go about figuring where to get the parts?
- If I take the spiral rod out of the sash, are there parts still in there that need to be removed? I assume there is no way to remove the sash and I must find a way to fix the counterbalance or replace the whole window.

I think I grew up in a house that had these type of windows.

When was your house built?

I'm not sure it is worth your time and effort to "fix" them.

You might want to look into new windows all together. We did this after we moved into our home and have been very pleased. Compared to 30+ year old windows the new windows have them beat hands down.

House is only 14 years old. Windows are double pane. Would be a real shame to replace the windows because the counter balance does not work.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Thought I'd give this a whirl (no pun intended). My house has these cheap no-name, non-tilt windows with spiral rods on the sides for counterbalance to hold up the window. They often fail by making a racket when you open the window and the spiral rod hangs down. I have looked on the internet and don't find the instructions to be helpful.

What I need to know is:

- How do you know if the spiral balance mechanism is broken?
- The grease on them seems sticky. Is that the way they are supposed to be or should I clean and regrease?
-Can I replace them with some better design and how would I go about figuring where to get the parts?
- If I take the spiral rod out of the sash, are there parts still in there that need to be removed? I assume there is no way to remove the sash and I must find a way to fix the counterbalance or replace the whole window.

Many years ago I spent a year working in the business so here goes.
1) The balance is considered broken when the sash start falling on its own (they don't hold the sash up anymore)
2)Never cleaned or greased a balance but I suppose wd40 can only help
3)With parts don't even waste your time at homedepot or lowes. Go either to a good small hardware store or from a window installer, you will need a special window balance tool to get to wind up the spring but a pier may work also but will be a pita.
4) The sash must (and do) come out. The spring isn't really connected directly to the sash. On top of each sash in each of its top corners will be plastic tabs that slide. So you lift the sash up slightly (like opening the window) than take each of those tabs and slide them towards each other, holding them in this position pull the sash towards you. On the bottom of the sash are pins that go into shoes, so you tilt the sash to get the pins out of the shoes. It seams harder than it is but once you will start you will get the idea. Try not to break the shoe that the pins go into because they can sometime be a pita to install new ones. Now you will see that the balance go into those shoes. Using a balance tool (or plier (but be careful with a plier since the balance might be wound up)) get the balance out of the shoe. Remove the top screw that attaches the balance to the window frame. Installation is opposite of removal just don't forget to wind up the balance.

Check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6XFfZJP3N4

I have similiar problems with a few of my 30 yr old aluminum dbl-pain (mispelling intended) windows. The loud BANG when raising, one refuses to remain UP, some are incredibly tight.

For parts on line, check Swisco. They also have some videos. Also show how to remove the sash from the frame.

I recently found a local window shop that carries the rods in different lengths as well as the fuzzy pile weatherstrip, so I look forward to repairing my windows.

Also, I'd be struggling with a same age sliding glass door with a very worn out sliding track. Just replaced it with a stainless steel one and the door slides like new again! Didn't realize a repair could be done or that it was so simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back