Block Heater or Inline heater? Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just doing some reading, found out Clevys recirculating block heater is the same as an engine hose heater.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie
So are you guys saying that when i cut the cord, that most likely killed the cord altogether?

This is you we're talking about, so the answer to that is most likely a big old YES.

I wouldn't recommend helping anyone deliver any babies, just to be on the safe side, if you know what I mean. :p

As for cost, running synthetic oil is cheaper than fixing the cord, replacing the cord, replacing the current heater with another OEM one, or installing a different type of heater.

So, why even bother?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
So are you guys saying that when i cut the cord, that most likely killed the cord altogether?

This is you we're talking about, so the answer to that is most likely a big old YES.

I wouldn't recommend helping anyone deliver any babies, just to be on the safe side, if you know what I mean. :p

As for cost, running synthetic oil is cheaper than fixing the cord, replacing the cord, replacing the current heater with another OEM one, or installing a different type of heater.

So, why even bother?

BC.

But I thought these cord plugs were replacable? If they arent, then i wouldnt have wasted my time putting on a replacement. All I have to say is that its a major pain in the [censored] job to do.

If it is my block heater then im not going to replace it with another block heater. Infact Im not sure what im going to do but -30 starts on the car is rough on it, very rough and even though syn helps, the car wont be happy when not plugged in.

And no way im paying $150 for a oil pan heater from Napa!

The replacement cords are like under $20 but just need to find out which end is on mine.

I have a bad feeling its not just the cord, but im keeping my hopes up that all it is, is the cord cause $20 is a cheap fix.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

Because I park my car outside and -30 winters are hard on the engine.

What part of Canada are you in??

Calgary

Last edited:
Just doing some reading, found out Clevys recirculating block heater is the same as an engine hose heater.

Yep, you're right. Check out Canadian Tire and Partsource. They've been advertising them right now.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Yep, you're right. Check out Canadian Tire and Partsource. They've been advertising them right now.

Did some calling around and apparently you cant run this kind of heater on civics.

I'd just order a cheap pad heater online. You'll get it in a week. It doesn't look like Calgary is getting any -30 weather in the next week. You should be fine.

Originally Posted By: D189379
I'd just order a cheap pad heater online. You'll get it in a week. It doesn't look like Calgary is getting any -30 weather in the next week. You should be fine.

Like oil pan heater you mean? Cheapest locally is $90 (and thats after the 30% off lol).

Its called the Canadian Polar Pad, seems to have good reviews.

I decided im not going to bother with Low rad hose heater. Too much hassle and bit risky. So it would be the oil pan heater cause easy install and dont have to drain anything or cut any hoses.

But like said, will find out tomrw, Im still confident its the cord that just needs replacement.

Last edited:
But I thought these cord plugs were replacable? If they arent, then i wouldnt have wasted my time putting on a replacement. All I have to say is that its a major pain in the [censored] job to do.

They are replaceable, you're just not capable of doing anything.

How much is the OEM cable from your local Honda dealer?
How much would they charge to replace the cable for you?

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

They are replaceable, you're just not capable of doing anything.

How much is the OEM cable from your local Honda dealer?
How much would they charge to replace the cable for you?

BC.

Thats not very nice. Honda charges $40 for the cord but I will get aftermarket from Napa for under $20.

These guy's seem to make some reasonable priced oil pan heaters: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_automotive?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Kat%27s&node=15684181

Can you get to the block heater with leads from your multimeter? If you can measure resistance across the heater terminal itself this would tell you if the heater is bad/good. If you are getting an open circuit at the cord plug-in end, the cord just might be bad. I measured the plug-in end on my Accord and got 35.7 ohms. Take 120 volts/35.7 ohms = 3.36 amps x 120 volts equals 403 watts. I figured it costs me 13 cents to run it for 4 hours (it's on a timer).

Did some calling around and apparently you cant run this kind of heater on civics.

It sounds like you got it fixed, from the other thread, so that's good. That's the downside about those recirculating heaters. Some engine compartments have more than enough space and plenty of hose to mess with. Others do not.

It sounds like you got it fixed, from the other thread, so that's good. That's the downside about those recirculating heaters. Some engine compartments have more than enough space and plenty of hose to mess with. Others do not.

Ya got it fixed, it was the cord, phew. Relieved I dont have to waste money on another heater. Mech even replaced the plastic coil thing that goes around the cord with new ones.

Only thing is, I went to Napa to get a new cord (since I had the current one still on the car, I had to go by pic) so went in and the guy looked up my car and matched to the cord and said that was it. When got to mech and he tested it, the cord I just bought was wrong fit. But good thing he happened to have a new one lying around that was off a customers Toyota and tried that, fit and tested it, worked!

That makes no sense how mine needs a Toyota cord to work. Unless my block heater is aftermarket is my only guess.

The cord is good though, its Pyroll brand and even has a rubber cap for the prongs to protect them.

So then i refunded the one to Napa and bought the one off my mech. Only thing now is, stupid me, having taken the old cord off I should have cut the end off it to keep for down the road in case I need to replace it again.

Last edited:
That makes no sense how mine needs a Toyota cord to work. Unless my block heater is aftermarket is my only guess.

The cord is good though, its Pyroll brand and even has a rubber cap for the prongs to protect them.

Oh well, a bit of a hassle, but at least it worked out. I've gotten used to replacing the cords periodically anyhow. You plug and unplug the things in -40 with them stiff as iron for a few years, and the cord is going to go south, eventually. Like I mentioned before, I don't bother with fixing plugs. My dad seemed to adore replacing the plugs, but I couldn't be bothered, because they rarely work as reliably as a new cord anyhow.

Oh well, a bit of a hassle, but at least it worked out. I've gotten used to replacing the cords periodically anyhow. You plug and unplug the things in -40 with them stiff as iron for a few years, and the cord is going to go south, eventually. Like I mentioned before, I don't bother with fixing plugs. My dad seemed to adore replacing the plugs, but I couldn't be bothered, because they rarely work as reliably as a new cord anyhow.

It seems its just as quick to replace the cord and the aftermarket plugs are garbage from what Ive noticed. I think theyre more suited for indoors.

I picked up a block heater timer, do you think i can leave this plugged into the outlet 24/7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back