Aftermarket rebuild of Acura MDX transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, isn't that interesting. My mechanic would have had to deal with that. I guess he had years of experience with Howard after 25 years with Honda and over a decade with his own shop. I was very pleased with it. There's that issue with anecdotal evidence again.

Originally Posted By: JOD

Transmissions are road-tested for 10-15 miles, and exposed to a variety of real-world driving conditions to ensure that they work as promised when they are delivered to our customers. After passing all quality tests transmissions are drained, cleaned, plugged, bagged and packaged in leak-proof containers for shipping."

I cannot see how a dyno would not accomplish the same thing, perhaps even more extensively.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I agree, but check out their web site. One of the photos showed an old Honda like mine in their "test fleet." Plus, they do charge a premium for their trannies. Mine was $2,100 just for the transmission. Installation at my mechanic's shop was another $500. The car was in such great shape otherwise that it was worth it to me. It got me another three years out of the car before I wrecked it.

Heck, $2100 is dirt cheap.

Quote:
I cannot see how a dyno would not accomplish the same thing, perhaps even more extensively.

from their website:

Through experience, HEC discovered that on rare occasions a transmission can pass a dyno test, but still show signs of shuttering, slipping or harsh shifting once installed in a car.

Originally Posted By: oily boyd
Quote:

from their website:

Through experience, HEC discovered that on rare occasions a transmission can pass a dyno test, but still show signs of shuttering, slipping or harsh shifting once installed in a car.

I suppose, but again, find me a high-volume transmission rebuilder for OEMs that has to resort to installing transmissions into cars in order to be confident of their quality control.

Either Jasper or Gator Or a local independent re-builder associated with ATRA *and* with ATRA nation-wide warranty.

For Honda/Acura those are your realistic choices.

Last edited:
Finally decided to get it done by Kennedy Transmission. Just got the car back – too early to tell but looks good. Total Cost $3.6k. they have replaced a bunch of parts besides the clutch plates while they were at it – TQ, filters, some valve, etc.. and some machine+sleeve work was needed on one of the shaft holes on the case.

Have sent a sample from failed trans to Blackstone, will share as soon as I get the report.
Shop put Dex III + FM in the rebuilt tran said they have had good luck with it in all Honda trans they have rebuilt so didn’t sweat it too much. Do you guys think an early change would be good to get out any stuff that the new "broken-in" parts might shed ?

youdontwannaknow said:
Finally decided to get it done by Kennedy Transmission. Just got the car back – too early to tell but looks good. Total Cost $3.6k. they have replaced a bunch of parts besides the clutch plates while they were at it – TQ, filters, some valve, etc.. and some machine+sleeve work was needed on one of the shaft holes on the case.

Have sent a sample from failed trans to Blackstone, will share as soon as I get the report.
Shop put Dex III + FM in the rebuilt tran said they have had good luck with it in all Honda trans they have rebuilt so didn’t sweat it too much. Do you guys think an early change would be good to get out any stuff that the new "broken-in" parts might shed ?
[/quote

I would change it now with DW-1, at least 13 quarts to exchange all of it. Even Jasper says warranty is void if Honda fluid is not used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back