Is any coolant loss normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Malibu has lost a small amount of coolant over the past 4 years. I took a photo of my coolant reservoir 4 years ago:

and here is what it looks like now:

Is this something to be worried about? For what it's worth, I still have a GM drivetrain warranty for another week.

Yes, both were taken when the coolant was cold.

I'm really hoping that evaporation could account for this.

I should also mention the car has about 27,000 miles on it, and this is the factory coolant fill. If it matters, about 90% of the time, this car takes short trips, about 4 miles.

Yes, if your reservoir is anything like the reservoir on the 2.2L ecotec in my fathers VUE, there is a breather that dumps directly to the atmosphere.

Water evaporates.

Take it to the dealer. Ask them to replace the coolant under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Yes, if your reservoir is anything like the reservoir on the 2.2L ecotec in my fathers VUE, there is a breather that dumps directly to the atmosphere.

Water evaporates.

+1

If there are no other signs - abnormal tailpipe smoking, creamyness on oil or coolant filler caps, etc etc - then it appears to be the design of the coolant thing.

Yes, coolant is mostly water anyway, but evaporation seems to be very small with it as it is relatively contained.

The main thing if you suspect a coolant leak is that it isn't a head gasket.

Simply checking the oil dip stick should be enough. If it really looks like normal clean engine oil and the level stays exactly the same when you check it in the same spot after the vehicle sat overnight, you should be ok. If it looks like a chocolate milkshake or oddly colored, dump the oil and give it a good look.

A blown head gasket should be fixed right away as you'll blow the engine if you are getting coolant in it.

As boss said, do a drain and fill every two years as a general rule. Makes servicing fast and easy, and you have much less scaling and corrosion as an added benefit which ends up being cheaper than doing it every 5-6 years and corroding your radiator and coolant passages, which can overheat your engine if the coolant can't flow properly in your engine, or gets so bad it causes a layer of insulation to form with so much scaling.

The oil looks to be in great condition and doesn't gain (or lose) a drop so I'm sure the headgasket is fine. I plan to do a couple radiator drainings and fills with some Zerex Dexcool within a month.

If you have never topped off your antifreeze in those 4 years, that amount of coolant loss is normal. 50% of antifreeze is water and water evaporates.

BTW it is recommended that you change your antifreeze every 5 years/150,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back