Reviving old Cannondales

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughters 4 & 6 now are riding without training wheels.

I pulled my old M800 (Beast of the East) circa 1994 mountain bike out to go out with them. To my amazement this Made in the USA Cannondale bike still shifts perfect with those old index thumb shifters and brakes work perfectly. It was ridden very hard but I quit in 1999 with it.

My next bike is a wonderful Cannondale Jekyll(Lefty fork) with full suspension from 2001. Has crooked sticker under enamel that states Proudly Made in the USA. Nothing appears made in China on it. Everything France, USA, Japan and Taiwan.

I quit riding in 2004 after 10 stiches from a terrible flip and also cracked a bone.

This one has Julie disc brakes that seem to no longer retract fully. Are disc brakes DIY simple or something I should visit a bike shop with?

I would have a good bike shop go over the bike you will be riding.

We take ours in about once a year for service.

We often ride 5 days a week some.

Stuff that old should probably have everything regreased and repacked. Since there were probably some thermal cycles on them, you might want to go with a good retorquing of everything too.

Not sure if you could retrofit shimano hubcentric hydraulic brakes on new wheels, but I absolutely love mine. Everything else just upgrade or replace when it breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back