Delo 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, that's what I need to know
smile.gif
I was not able to find any HTHSV info...guess it was under my nose all along. Thanks CATERHAM, as always , it is appreciated.

volk06, I have drawn a blank as well. I know CATERHAM knows his stuff, and has no reason to mislead. I am just an information junkie and have tried finding it myself, with no luck. Nor can I find Ford's HTHS requirements (if any published) for the engines in question. Still digging though..
smile.gif

This looks like a really good all fleet oil.
How much does it cost?
For the apps you're going to use it in, unless it has some significant cost advantage, which I doubt, there are more suitable oils available.
Still, this would be a great oil for many older Euro cars, like mine.

No idea on cost yet. Have emailed a couple of distributors to ask about price, and I will share the answers when I get them. As I said earlier, I want to run an HDEO that is 0w30. The only ones I have found are Delo and Delvac . Neither is a shelf item and would have to be ordered. Mobil 1 0w30 AFE is in the sump now on my truck which is on 10k OCI. I know of Castrol has 0w30 Edge, but not sure its up to the long OCI for my truck, but probably fine on the wife's car (5k OCI). I want one oil, all applications, full synthetic for the long OCI. This will range from my 25HP Kohler lawn tractor, '96 Ranger 3.0V6, '08 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V, and '10 F150 4.6L 2V...oh and almost forgot , '78 Datsun 280Z.

Originally Posted By: travlnman
I was aware of the Delvac Elite 222 0w30, but like the Delo, have never seen it anywhere.

You'd have to go to a distributor to find the Delvac Elite; I'd probably have to do the same for the Delo. I haven't seen anything except Delo 15w-40 on the shelf at our truck stop, which is also an official Chevron distributor.

For anything currently under warranty, I'd be hesitant. However, it's not just due to the fact that it uses older specs. Most vehicles want an API/ILSAC oil, whereas the Delo (or Delvac Elite) only have the API specs, being dual rated. You say that nothing you have is under warranty; they only thing you should confirm is the federal emissions warranty under your newest vehicles. I know that both Canada and the States do have a longer emissions warranty than the normal powertrain or bumper to bumper warranties.

After warranty, I'd see no issues, even on a newer car, as long as you aren't all that worried about the elevated ZDDP levels. I see that Delo has a healthy dose. That would be a great oil for my old truck; our Co-ops do offer similarly formulated (with similar specifications) HDEOs.

Generally, with an older formula HDEO, as long as the ZDDP levels aren't a concern (high ZDDP doesn't really bother me as much as it bothers the manufacturers) and one isn't too concerned about the SA, things are fine. High SA oils tend to have higher starting TBN anyhow. As you can see, this oil has a starting TBN of around 10.

You're going to find that it's substantially thicker at operating temperatures than a 20 weight - it's probably got an HTHS of around 3.5, give or take, which is the norm for a 0w-30 HDEO. I think the lightest 0w-30 HDEO I've seen had an HTHS of around 3.3 or 3.4.

CATERHAM pointed out that the HTHS is going to be high. It doesn't appear to be published, at least on that HTHS, but it's going to be on the 3.5 neighbourhood. It will certainly be thicker than a normal 5w-20 or even a normal 5w-30 or 10w-30 at operating temperatures. On the other hand, it's not absurdly thick like a 20w-50, and it does have a very high VI. If one were to choose one oil for a mixed fleet, I'd suggest this would be one of the better choices. Right now, I'm deducting vehicle expenses separately, so having a separate stash for each vehicle helps, rather than hinders, my accounting, so I'm not in a panic yet for one oil for everything and I'm sticking to PCMO for the G for the time being.

That Delo's got a very high viscosity index, though, and will likely perform very admirably in the winter. Personally, if I wanted one oil for year round use for both my vehicles and could get it at a reasonable cost, this Delo 400 looks like it would be one of my top choices.

If you do choose to run it for extended drains, don't be afraid to try a UOA or two. A high starting TBN is not the same as TBN retention, either. Nonetheless, I'm sure it's a very stout oil.

Here's one nice hint that I've noticed about the Delo line. If it's just called Delo, it is likely a bit of a legacy oil. If it's called Delo LE, it'll have the latest specifications. As for other 0w-30 HDEOs, Shell has one, but I don't think it's available south of the border.

Garak, I do appreciate all the input. I emailed two distributors, and only one has replied, saying he could not supply this oil....which probably means, I'm not buying enough quantity to have him go through the effort
smirk.gif
No word from the second one yet. I completely struck out on the HTHS rating , and I searched high and low. The high VI was very appealing, as it is listed as an oil for use in arctic regions, and the cold flow should be excellent. Once up to temps, I don't see any worries...and high ZDDP does not bother me in the least. Will wait and see if the second supplier responds. If he does not, I have some ties with multiple local industrial types that buy in large quantity, and a supplier will likely go to more effort to get them 5 gals of oil than they would little ole me.
smile.gif
Not giving up folks...the journey continues.

The CP stuff looks good, too, but it may be difficult to find, too. CP lubes are, at least up here, very, very difficult to find. There's not even a distributor in this city; there is one in a small town some ways out.

For the HTHS of the Delo, well, as CATERHAM and I have mentioned, bank around 3.5, give or take. You're not going to find an HDEO with an HTHS of much less than that. As for NOACK figures, they seem to be hard to nail down for a lot of HDEOs. Really, though, API/ILSAC and even the ACEA and dexos aren't terribly stringent, with plenty of synthetic PCMO offerings beating the requirements by a very wide margin.

It's going to be thicker than optimal, but there are always tradeoffs with oils. If you want one oil for all the applications, unless everything has identical requirements, then of course it'll be less than optimal in one or more applications. Such is life.

Finding these oils with these legacy specifications is getting harder all the time. Imperial Oil (our XOM) still has the PDS of Esso XD-3 5w-30 on its site. That would be a perfect oil for my old F-150. However, it's been discontinued and no old stock is left. The only legacy HDEOs that seem to be available are at the Co-ops, but for all I know, they've simply got old spec sheets on their site like Imperial Oil.

Another route to take, if you're willing to do the legwork, is check some of the shops that service the big rigs. One of our local shops has a better selection of Chevron products than does the actual Chevron distributor. This shop, believe it or not, had the first examples of SN/GF-5 oils that I ever saw in this city.

If you happen to have a Petro-Canada distributor near you (the U.S. office is in Chicago at 1-888-284-4572), they do have some 0w-30 HDEO in synthetic and synblend, CH-4/SJ for the synthetic blend, and CH-4/SM for the synthetic.

Package sizes are always a frustration, too. Down under, they can get Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 in five gallon pails, it seems. Not so up here - they're in a box of four jugs, a gallon a piece.

I guess I will have to give up on the Delo. Any distributor that has responded to me, has said they cannot supply it (or will not) and several have not responded at all. I am trying to get a lead on the Mobile Elite 222 through a local manufacturing facility. If I can nail it down, I will share the info.

Any Chevron jobber should be able to get it. Mine here in Saint Louis will order it for me. 104.00 a box, with slightly less than 3 gallons in the box because it's liters.

Your guys must be more accomodating than mine. Had one say he could not....had one say he would not order it (not enough quantity I guess). That price is not too bad....avg between 8 and 9 $ a qt. Good to know the price, thanks for that !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back