Pure One vs Mann oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use a Mann oil filter on my Volvo 240. I replaced my Mann filter with an over sized Pure One hoping to add both a bit more oil and filter element. The Pure One is nearly 50% larger than the Mann and claims 99.9% filtering abilities. Ironically, the much smaller Mann filter is significantly heavier than the P1 filter. I'll weigh and measure them soon, and provide pics.

When I changed the oil over the weekend, the P1 filter calapsed, something the Mann filter never did in the past. The P1 had a dent nearly 2 inches in diameter and compression into the filter of one inch. Sorry no photos available; new to this site and this whole forum thing.

I noticed P1 is widely advocated on here and other places as a great filter but, at least in my experience, it proved to be a flimsy filter (this time).

I should also disclose I have used Mobil1 and Bosch oil filters without problems, on both my Volvos and Hondas.

This is merely my experience, and not a recommendation for any filter. I may try the P1 again in the spring because I like increase in oil capacity and filtering.

Anyone have this experience?

I can't say much about the P1, since finding one "in the wild" in Canada is difficult. On my old Audi, the German sourced Mann, Mahle, and Bosch filters were the best priced and had the most sturdy construction. There was some definite heft to them.

Garek that maybe the best way to describe it: Mann is a heavy, sturdy oil filter. The Pure1 may provide superior filtering, that is, if you believe their advertisements, but has questionable outer construction, that easily bends with modest pressure.

I may call Purolator today and ask for comment.

Originally Posted By: IngSoc274
I may call Purolator today and ask for comment.

Do not be surprised if they do not comment on your experiment and only recommend what is cataloged for it.

Many European vehicles motors run high that average oil PSI on their motors. Running the correct filter designed for the application is more important than playing engineer and fitting an oil filter that was never designed for that application to begin with.

There are a couple"grades" of Mann filters. The ones I am familiar with are made in the same factory as Purolators and are IDENTICAL inside and out to a Purolator classic.

Either way when I first joined this site I bashed Purolator (P1's in particular) for being cheap, flimsy and misleading with their micron ratings and I got bashed to [censored]. Since that time I have seen more than a few filter failures and the majority seem to be P1's. I Have used them but they are definitely not my "go to" oil filter.

Stick with what works for you and don't worry about the oversize filter thing too much.

My Mann filters are made in Germany, at least that is printed on filter. I buy them directly thru a Volvo website.

My concern is not the oversized filter; it's the poor construction of that filter. I have no interest in bashing any filter brand. I have no loyalty to any brand. My only concern is quality. Im skeptical of all advertising, and only have interest in people's experiences. Most statistics, from my experience, are usually false and misleading.

I'm sharing my experience in hopes of offering an honest discussion, where I can learn from you folks and hope to return the favor.

Encouraging reply from Purolator.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. I would like to send you a retrieval kit to return the filter for analysis. Please provide the part# and the year, make and model of your vehicle. Also, include your physical mailing address. The retrieval kit contains a box, plastic bags, a claim form, an instruction letter, and a next day air return shipping label. I will forward your email to our Quality Control department to have our inventory audited.

Best Regards,

James

When I changed the oil over the weekend, the P1 filter calapsed, something the Mann filter never did in the past. The P1 had a dent nearly 2 inches in diameter and compression into the filter of one inch. Sorry no photos available; new to this site and this whole forum thing.

Was this due to installing the filter? A filter can just doesn't "collapse" when in use, because there is pressure inside the filter trying to push the can outward all the time.

Also, if this P1 filter was not the exact on called out by Purolator for your vehicle, they will do nothing for you. It sounds like they just want to look at it for their own sake.

I wasn't seeking any reimbursement. If I was Purolator, I'd like to receive both compliments and criticisms.

My objective was to share with you my experience removing the P1 filter.

Purolator was impressive in that they replied within one hour on a filter costing 6 bucks.

The problem is more an issue of metallurgy than the filter element. Do they outsource the casing and concentrate on the filtering?

Sharing my experience that's it; not here seeking fame, fortune or debate.

I wasn't seeking any reimbursement. If I was Purolator, I'd like to receive both compliments and criticisms.

My objective was to share with you my experience removing the P1 filter.

Purolator was impressive in that they replied within one hour on a filter costing 6 bucks.

The problem is more an issue of metallurgy than the filter element. Do they outsource the casing and concentrate on the filtering?

Sharing my experience that's it; not here seeking fame, fortune or debate.

Does Purolator know this dented can was a result of removing the filter? Purolator will not care if the can got crushed during removal. There are too many unknown factors on how the filter was installed and removed by the user.

I've installed many PureOne filters by hand, and have never had one dent during installation or removal. Need to handle the can near the base end or near the dome end (or both) to help reduce stress on the middle section of can.

Sure, some filters have stiffer cans, but I've never had an issue with the Purolators.

Used many P1's and never had that experience. Love the texture because it's easy to hand tighten on installation, gasket contact plus ~2/3-3/4 turn, and also makes for easy removal. As has been much discussed here, while P1 may not have the thickest can it is comparable to many of it's equivalents, and with proper installation, removal should go smoothly. In my experience, that's been how it's worked with P1. And even if the can dented on removal, that would have no effect on function while in use.

I'm 45 years old and have changed my filters for 25 years. Only sharing my experience. Unproductive to continue engaging the topic further. Thanks for the replies.

IngSoc.

My concern is not the oversized filter; it's the poor construction of that filter. I have no interest in bashing any filter brand.

So, are you saying that you have never jumped on the bandwagon here and gave FRAM a bashing?

I joined the forum yesterday. I have no interest in bashing fram or p1. My only interest is from hearing from people's experiences., good and bad.

My Mann filters are made in Germany, at least that is printed on filter. I buy them directly thru a Volvo website.

That's been my experience, too. The Bosch/Mann/Mahle examples for my Audi were a lot different than the Bosch 3300 I sometimes use on my G. The parts numbering system between the European versions of all these and those that fit the North American and Japanese applications is also totally different.

The Bosch Premium (i.e. like my 3300) is reportedly a clone, internally, of the P1 (I've had no negative experiences whatsoever). The Bosch that was specified for the Audi was a totally different animal.

If I were still driving a European vehicle, I'd be buying a Bosch, Mann, Mahle, or Hengst. My online source provided each for under $5 for my Audi (versus close to $10 for a Wix). All the European branded filters were actually made in Germany, and the brands were/are suppliers for Audi and the other manufacturers. There would be no reason for me to go elsewhere for a filter for a European application except in an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back