saw a fire truck almost get t-boned today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I was going to get some food a few minutes ago and this fire truck with his lights on just turns right in front of the vehicle in front of me. He made it look like he was going out on a scene and pulled out and turned into the right lane and then promptly turns into the left lane blocking off both lanes so he could back into the fire house. The car in front of me was probably 5 foot away from him when he was backing in. Man I was so mad at the shear stupidity of the driver of the fire truck. I was fixing to pull into the fire house and talk to who ever was in charge. Grrr!!!!! The fire department is supposed to save lives not take them. He could have waited two more seconds for us to pass by him instead of turning out of his lane in front of a vehicle going 35mph. Now guys I realize whenever an emergency vehicle has lights on he pretty much has right away but I still don't think that lights give him the right to drive wrecklessly. He wasn't even going to a fire just pulling back into the fire department.

Did you pull over and stop when you saw the flashing lights? If you kept driving, you have yourself to blame.

I almost nailed one Saturday. I had a green light and was doing the speed limit(35mph). Not much traffic. Got almost to the cross walk and saw a Fire truck with lights on enter the intersection from my Right side.

My view to the right was blocked by a gas station.

I hit the brakes and was able to stop. I had the windows cracked a little like usual but did not hear the truck until I saw it.

Originally Posted By: fsdork
Did you pull over and stop when you saw the flashing lights? If you kept driving, you have yourself to blame.

sure did. kind of have to when he blocks off two lanes to back in. Remember it was the car in front of me and not me.

its okay...I actually nailed one a long long while ago...the best part was that it was the fire trucks fault and they have the best insurance!

the fire truck kept going. lol that was halarious. Yeah i'm not sure what goes through their minds sometimes. I guess the adrenaline gets going and hinders their ability to make decisions. I appreciate what they do though.

The only thing that kept me from going in their and reporting that little incident was the fact that a car was right next to me making it so I couldn't turn in.

the trouble i have with an ambulance or fire truck is that the siren is so darn loud i cant tell where they are. they sound like they are behind, then it sounds like they are in front of you.

Was everyone staying back 500 feet?
wink.gif

I'd like you to come up with a better suggestion for backing something up that huge and heavy with adequate speed so the personnell can start restocking supplies for/before the next call.

Your rant is self-contradictory; the firemen know they are a hazard and are using lights but you say they're reckless.
confused.gif

The guys here use lights when they park on the shoulder for shovelling snow around hydrants etc. It means GIVE ME SPACE.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
To me, if the lights are on, I stop. Doesn't matter if they are going to a fire, backing into the fire house or getting burger king.

x2 I always stop.

I do find it a little ridiculous they used the lights to back into the fire house though. They shouldn't be using the lights unless it is an emergency. The same thing happened to me the other day driving home from work.

There was a fire truck 3 cars ahead of me. It suddenly slams on the brakes, flicks the lights on, then proceeds to back into the dunkin donuts, blocking traffic in both lanes and almost causing an accident. Once backed in it shuts the lights off and they jump out to grab a coffee. The cars behind them almost rear ended the truck, and it almost hit another car head on in the other lane when it pulled wide to back in.
confused2.gif

I have great respect for fire fighters and know many, but I feel that is kind of abusing the authority.

I was turning left onto the road and their is the fire house about 100 feet down the road so here i'm turning and coming up to speed when the truck pulls out of this tiny road blocked in between the buildings so you can't even see it until the last second. All he had to do was wait 2 seconds to let two cars go passed real quick but nope he has to turn right in front of a car that's nearly right beside him. I know that person slammed on their brakes to avoid hitting him cause the truck almost couldn't back in due to the car being to close to him after he turned perpendicular to both lanes of traffic so he coul back in. I slammed on my brakes pretty good too to keep from rear ending the car in front of me. You really had to see it in person to understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
In NYC it states on the back of all fire trucks "KEEP BACK 200 FEET"......you wouldn't believe the morons who tailgate right behind the rigs and ignoring sirens is pandemic also...

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Man I was going to get some food a few minutes ago and this fire truck with his lights on just turns right in front of the vehicle in front of me. He made it look like he was going out on a scene and pulled out and turned into the right lane and then promptly turns into the left lane blocking off both lanes so he could back into the fire house. The car in front of me was probably 5 foot away from him when he was backing in. Man I was so mad at the shear stupidity of the driver of the fire truck. I was fixing to pull into the fire house and talk to who ever was in charge. Grrr!!!!! The fire department is supposed to save lives not take them. He could have waited two more seconds for us to pass by him instead of turning out of his lane in front of a vehicle going 35mph. Now guys I realize whenever an emergency vehicle has lights on he pretty much has right away but I still don't think that lights give him the right to drive wrecklessly. He wasn't even going to a fire just pulling back into the fire department.

You say you were on your way to get food.

Maybe this was a really busy company that had been running all day. Maybe they hadnt been able to grab lunch all day, maybe they really had to go to the bathroom.

It all sounds silly, but we're human too. I work on a very busy company myself. We start at 7am, and there have been many times that we don't get to eat our first meal until well after 3-4pm. Many times that's just grabbing a sandwich on the way out the door.

Like I said, we're no different than y'all. I'm sure you've done a boneheaded move.

Also, we turn our lights on to try to warn people not to hit us. If we didn't and someone hit us, then it would be on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back