Do I need a new modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The modem is a Westell 6100 model. I'm on Century Link extended range DSL... My speeds drop to dial-up but after I unplug the power and replug my speeds are back to normal (530 kps). This happens 3-4 times per week or more. I went about 5 months without this problem but it resurfaced about two weeks ago. Thanks

it could be the phone line itself... have the phone company run a line test first. a lot of times it can be done over the phone via an automated help selection.

So your connected directly to the PC from the modem? What os? Do you run TCP optimizer? if so what settings? go through all that before assuming modem.

we are on centurylink dsl as well, different modem, but we just plain loose our connection several times a week. pretty much anytime its windy, or there are storms in the area.
have given up calling the tech support folks, as all they do is run me through their script of things I've done before calling them in the first place, and then send me another modem.(I have 3 of the same model this one and rotate them out every one in a while just for kicks )

Originally Posted By: gomes512
They wear down over time.

Is the firmware up to date?
http://qwest.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-westell-6100-firmware-update.html

If it still continues I'd have them test the line when the speed starts crawling and then have them retest it when you reset.
....well that update did the trick!!...I had to have my stepson come out and do it as I had some problems getting it updated...thanks everyone for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back