mobil 1 15w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to run mobil 1 15w-50 SN version, in my 2004 volvo penta 5.7 GI engine...any thoughts?...four winns manual says full synthetic 30wt., 15-50, or 20-50....

Its a GM 5.7L engine. Volvo only makes the I/O. The engine is a strong engine as GM has made millions for small trucks, cars (I think) and Merc and Volvo marine. Its got a 4 bolt main which is heavier duty than a 2 bolt main. I would get an oil that is gas & diesel rated as marine use, which is constant RPM usage maybe for hours is better with a gas & diesel rated oil.

Mobil 1 or Amsoil would be my choice.

I have a 1987 Merc 5.7L.

Originally Posted By: jb2trbof150
I'm going to run mobil 1 15w-50 SN version, in my 2004 volvo penta 5.7 GI engine...any thoughts?...four winns manual says full synthetic 30wt., 15-50, or 20-50....

Any XW-40 specked in that four winds manual? Because if there is I was wondering if Mobil TDT 5W-40 would be a good choice as it may give you more miles per gallon. That being said Cujet here on BITOG has nothing but good things to say about Mobil 15W-50 and how well it protects all of his air cooled OPE.

BTW when it comes to manuals for engines is the manual from the original manufacturer of the engine or from a company that uses that engine in their equipment?

There was a post here on BITOG about trash trucks that had a manual that did not pass on the requirement to also keep track of running hours between oil changes and change if a certain number of hours were reached, instead of just miles. The mechanics that services those trucks were getting scolded for wasting oil because they were changing oil (according to the people who watched the money flow, too often) it turns out that they should have been changing something like 2.5 times more often than they were according to hours. Anywho when several of those trucks blew engines with low miles the people who run things complained to the truck maker, and someone finally figured out how often they should have been changing oil according to hours.

Last edited:
ya, this is from my four winns manual...I use mobil 1 in my sons car, and like it....plus with the rebates and sale price at Farm and Fleet, I've got about $3.50 per qt. in the mobil 1 oil!

Originally Posted By: jb2trbof150

Sounds like your manual states the same as mine. With mobile 1 full synthetic 15-40w you are meeting the requirements of both the recommended wt and the API rating which in my manual states cf/sh or better. You will be fulfilling the needs of this engine with this oil. Nuff said.

Mercruiser has specified a 40 grade (25w40 or straight 40) engine oil for the 5.7 for decades, I am surprised at the 15w50 recommendation from Four Winns. If they recommend 15w50, I'm sure it will be fine.

I have Quicksilver 25w40 in the 7.4's in our Formula, over 800 hours on the engines and they still don't burn a drop.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Mercruiser has specified a 40 grade (25w40 or straight 40) engine oil for the 5.7 for decades, I am surprised at the 15w50 recommendation from Four Winns. If they recommend 15w50, I'm sure it will be fine.

I have Quicksilver 25w40 in the 7.4's in our Formula, over 800 hours on the engines and they still don't burn a drop.

I have run quivksilver 25w-40 in my engine as well. What I find interesting is that volvo and merc both use the same gm based block (with the 4.3l at least), yet recommend completely different oils. Volvo wants full symthetic and merc wants dino. GM made the engine and they know exactly what they want to see in their engines. Most dipsticks are stamped with the API rated oil to use. Mine calls for a cf/sh rating.

My son has a 496 cid Mercrusier in a 26' Formula. He has had 15-40 in it for the last three boating seasons with no problems. He does not run it hard and does not put a lot of hours on it each year though.

My other son has a 5.7 Mercrusier with a four barrel, about an 89 vintage in a 19 foot ruanabout. He just got the boat this year and we put in new 5-40 Shell Rotella and a Napa Gold filter. He runs it very very hard most evey weekend. Full throttle all the time. No problems and absolutly mo oil consuption. That for a 23 year old engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back